Quantcast

Riding on my reservation

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
A week ago i went to Eastern Washington and visited friends and family along the way. i have alot of family that live in Inchelium Washington which is on my tribes reservation. Beautiful country and i always feel glad to go back for visits and was happy to go for a 20 miler on my mt. bike my first big ride back from a broken leg i've been healing from.
i took pictures mainly to give to my grandmother she's pretty sick and i don't think she'll make it back to the country where she was born and raised. i had forgot my digi camera and took these with a disposable, so i thought i'd share the country where my people live.

Round Lake where i fish and ice-fish when i'm there in the winter

The back road i took up to the lake, just lookin back when i climbed up a hill (first hill climb on broken leg)

Nice shot off the back road, Twin Lakes slough or perhaps the start of a creek, cool eagles nest to the left.

Twin Lakes there's a resort with cabins, but this is a tribal spot down the road from there

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlySurly said:
That place is awesome. How's the fishing? Any walleyes in there?
i fish in Round Lake and there's only trout in there. Twin Lakes is a tourist resort deal so they fill that lake full of fish, but i couldn't really tell you what kind they have planted in there. Sometimes i go to the creeks and fish, but i never seem to catch anything. The only salmon fishing that can be done is on the other side of my reservation below Cheif Joseph dam. All other dams prevent the salmon from spawning upstream further which is why there's no "real" salmon runs from the N.W. anymore. My rez is the only place where i'll fish, i don't find it exciting enough to pay for a license, so i can fish on my land for free.
Someday i might just disappear off the face of the map, this is where i'll go, building and rippin the singletrack trails way back in the sticks, kickin it with my anscestors in the hills. :D

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Skookum said:
Someday i might just disappear off the face of the map, this is where i'll go, building and rippin the singletrack trails way back in the sticks, kickin it with my anscestors in the hills. :D
You should come to TN sometime to fish the creeks. We dont have ALOT of trout around where I live, but there are tons of fish to be caught and its alot more fun than lake fishing because you have to hike all day long to get to the spots and all.
My goal in life is to own land with a small river or big creek on it so I can fish all day when Im old and not be bothered.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlySurly said:
You should come to TN sometime to fish the creeks.
i spent a summer at Mt. Joliet when i was a kid. Only thing i liked were the lightnin bugs and peach pop eurrh soda. Humidity and ticks just don't make me happy. :) In the sticks here you might pick up a wood tick, but i remember in Tennessee, mowing the lawn and looking down and having around 20 of them fat brownies crawlin up my leg. :help:
i guess you don't have many critters that have the capability of eating you down there though..... :p

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Skookum said:
i spent a summer at Mt. Joliet when i was a kid. Only thing i liked were the lightnin bugs and peach pop eurrh soda. Humidity and ticks just don't make me happy. :) In the sticks here you might pick up a wood tick, but i remember in Tennessee, mowing the lawn and looking down and having around 20 of them fat brownies crawlin up my leg. :help:
i guess you don't have many critters that have the capability of eating you down there though..... :p

Mt. Juliet is actually pretty close to where Im from. Like an hour away. I really havent had a tick in a long time though. They arent that big a deal it seems unless you're out really crawling around in the weeds. One of the last times I got bit, I came down with Rocky Mt. spotted fever and wound up in the hospital for a couple weeks. Almost died, seriously. Was the worst pain of my entire life. Made mono feel like common cold.
Humidity is tough down here too, but you dont notice it when you're flyfishing in a creek that keeps a constant cool temp in the summers. The riding is piss poor in most of TN though. Not much of a scene. Now if you like dirtbikes though, we got plenty of that and ATVs and 4X4 trucks and horses and stuff like that.