Quantcast

riding position with new forks.

shaun

Chimp
Sep 19, 2001
So I hope someone here can help me. does it make sense to match front and rear suspension travel. ie. six inches at both ends. I've asked a few questions about my soon to be new ride here befor with lots-o help(2step). I'm using it as a doitall bike. I rode one with a five inch fork on it and loved the geometry, I have to climb with this bike as well as drop in on any and everything. Will a bike with a five inch fork, a 2inch riser bar and 15degree rise stem, feel the same as the same bike with a six inch fork with a shallower stem/bar combination.??? seems like it'd make sense that'd it would adjust body postion for the change in headtube angle.
whatdoyathinkeh?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by shaun
So I hope someone here can help me. does it make sense to match front and rear suspension travel. ie. six inches at both ends. I've asked a few questions about my soon to be new ride here befor with lots-o help(2step). I'm using it as a doitall bike. I rode one with a five inch fork on it and loved the geometry, I have to climb with this bike as well as drop in on any and everything. Will a bike with a five inch fork, a 2inch riser bar and 15degree rise stem, feel the same as the same bike with a six inch fork with a shallower stem/bar combination.??? seems like it'd make sense that'd it would adjust body postion for the change in headtube angle.
whatdoyathinkeh?
Yes and no, as the bike height may remain the same, with a longer fork you'll get more slack. You may wanna keep it 5 & 5 as a taller fork may throw you back on your steep climbs.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Don't forget to take sag into account. A longer travel fork will be used with more sag. It is possible that different manufacturers 6 inch forks will have different crown to axle dimensions as well. But if you set up a 5 inch and 6 inch travel fork to place your hands at the same height from the ground , the climbing performance will be similar. A slight change in sadle position might be needed too as a longer fork slackens the seat angle a touch too.