Quantcast

Riding with Dogs.... or cats....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
My Australian Cattle Dog is a great riding companion but as it's gotten hotter I've become more concerned with keeping him hydrated and cool.
Typically I'll saddle him up with his water bottles and collapsible bowl in a backpack but yesterday it just seemed to hot for him to wear it about 1/2 way thru the ride. Also I based my ride around making sure I went thru as many mud puddles and water crossings as possible but he still seemed hot to me. Also when I stop to give him water he usually more concerned with what's going on it the woods or running up the trail to see what's around the next turn and he doesn't drink much water.

For those of you who ride with a dog what do you do to keep your dog hydrated and comfortable?

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
I ride with my dog unleashed... only because i know i have control over her... but owning a black lab i tend to stop frequently and let her breathing calm down and at a creek crossing or two i will let her run up and down the creek a bit to get nice and wet. Stinkyboy just likes starting fights... what a D!ck...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I ride with my dog unleashed... only because i know i have control over her... but owning a black lab i tend to stop frequently and let her breathing calm down and at a creek crossing or two i will let her run up and down the creek a bit to get nice and wet. Stinkyboy just likes starting fights... what a D!ck...
That's just how we roll 'round here...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thats how I do it as well. When I see Bruzer's tongue get dark red I usually stop.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
How long are you riding for? I'd guess that if he was thirsty/dehydrated, he would drink.
I do about 7-10miles after work. I made sure I took a long break yesterday with him and in that time he drank a lot of water but spaced out about 5min apart. I can't always stop for 15min.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I get the headaches on the longer rides usually as opposed to post work rides.

Usually before I ride on the weekends I'll have some coffee only a few hours before. I wonder if that does it! If I don't have the coffee I'll get the headache anyway though.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I do about 7-10miles after work. I made sure I took a long break yesterday with him and in that time he drank a lot of water but spaced out about 5min apart. I can't always stop for 15min.
So what is that, like 90 minutes? *from my experience...* For a reasonably fit dog, that's not a huge deal.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So what is that, like 90 minutes? *from my experience...* For a reasonably fit dog, that's not a huge deal.
Ok cool, he was frothing a bit yesterday. I'm just new to all this so I'm trying to feel him out.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SB is right. I've seen it happen. You mention riding with your unleashed pooch & next thing you know, you have a bunch of pissed off cubicle mongers barking at you about how stupid it is & how you should have your bike taken away from you forever & then the mob mentality kicks in & they are all over the place spitting emoticons at you & little internet abreviations, that you dont know what they mean becuase it is the frikkin internet & you are not 13 anymore....you see what I am sayin'?
:D

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Well I would start by shaving the dog completely. I know some of you might be thinking why would you shave such a pretty dog but trust me it helps.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Anyway, I've heard of dogs getting heat stroke and dying on rides so keep in mind the dog may not "know any better".

Thats kind of what caused me to ask the question. I think I've been good at managing his drinking and temp.

Thanks for the good advice!

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Be very careful of the outside temperature and pace of your ride. And the fitness level of the dog. I made this scary mistake a few years ago with my dog (black lab). I took her out on a short ride on a warm/humid day, early in the season with what I though was adequate water for the boh of us. She accidentily knocked over a collapsible bowl full of water mid-ride, leaving us with very little in which to continue. We got to the car after walking the remainder of the trip and she could barely stand. I was scared - I thought I had killed my dog. Seriously! I went frantically looking for an open water spigot in an industrial park at the entrance to the trail while she rested in the shade. Unable to find anything, I finally was able to borrow a bottle of water from a fellow biker to give to her.

She ended up being fine, but I definitely pushed her too much on an easy ride. Be careful!

toby

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
btw - it depends on the fitness. My old dog that I worked was always fine. He'd go hours without water and be ok. He'd also get in every spot of water there was, if there was any. He never seemed to get too hot. I would ride where there is water though.