Quantcast

Rifle Colorado

.:_bustit_:.

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
US of A
What's up fella's and ladies...

So I got a possible job prospect in Rifle, CO and I'm just wondering what the scoop is on the area. People, area's to rent, cults, town, stuff to do etc...Just like ya'll, I might be taking the job there to work to Play...but I wanted to know if this town is OK to live in or if it's the twighlight zone? Thanks and hope to see ya' this summer some time!

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
There's some good ice climbing in the winter and insanely hard rock climbing in the summer there. Now you have all the information you need to move there and become a climbing bum..... :blah:

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
US of A
Morryjg said:
There's some good ice climbing in the winter and insanely hard rock climbing in the summer there. Now you have all the information you need to move there and become a climbing bum..... :blah:
lol...no offense, but I lost a finger rock climbing, almost died sliding down a chute while ice climbing...I'm done with that sport!

I tried running a search online for pictures and what not, but came up empty handed. I wanted to know about the town, rent price, the people, and of course, the biking! I know that there's good boarding just up the road.

Thanks!

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The only time I have ever gotten of the freeway to check that place out was about 8 years ago on a bike tour. I remember we got a Hotel that night cuz the rednecks around there were downright SCARY. I'm a big fan of Colorado though and since Rifle is close to the good stuff, I'd check it out again.

Bottom line - it's no paradaise but I would imagine that like all towns close to skiing in Colorad, it's looking up over time.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
redneckville. A couple years ago a high school kid got beat up badly [or was he killed, I've forgotton?]by his peers for either being gay or it was believed he was. [ I'm not confusing this with the similar thing that happened in wyoming I beleieve]. Either way, it's your typical intolerant redneck cowboy colorado town. friday and saturday night action can be found by hanging out at the local mcdonalds.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Nice: "No one was prosecuted for the attack on Kyle Skyock. The family said a local medical examiner determined Skyock wasn't necessarily beaten and could have injured himself by falling."
Thanks for looking that up R.M.

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
US of A
wow...nothing like good ole rednecks...they are almost as bad as the ghetto fabulous gangsta's.. Delt with both, would prefer neither, would choose rednecks over gangs though...

I did this post on mtbr, one guy suggested working there but commuting from Glenwood springs?

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
US of A
Another vote for glenwood springs, sounds good. Should I get this job, the 30 min. commute just might be worth it, after all, it is an interstate, in the colorado mtns, not in a city, couldn't be that bad of a commute. I guess the winters could slow it down with heavy dumps but I've got my chev dog with 4x4 action to get me around. ;)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
gs is nice w/ reasonable access to western co & utah (compared to actually living there)
what most folks think of rifle is what aspen folks think of glenwood springs.
did a nice loop a few years back (boy scout trail?) there.
not life changing, but a really sweet xc ride.
bobby julich's from there, but don't hold that against 'em.
he did just win paris-nice, so it balances out

nowhere near perfect, but here's a BLM abstract for mtnbiking in the area:
http://www.co.blm.gov/gsra/indexmtnbike.htm