Quantcast

rigid fork choice

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Gusset Jury Disc or DMR trailblade? Will be used for urban, but I'm not insane or anything. Will see a moderate amount of abuse. I'll be putting it on a large P1.

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
I've got one of those Instigator forks. Better quality than I expected for the price. Strength will not be an issue. In my opinion, rigid forks (that aren't intended for competition trials) should be chosen based on price and aesthetics. Performance-wise, they're all basically the same. Make sure you like the amount of suspension correction (4" on the Instigator, not sure about DMR or Gusset) so it doesn't throw off your geometry, and you should be all set.

The instigator will probably come in at around $100 from an LBS.

Edit: Or $64

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
i really had nothing bad to say about the kona fork while i had it. It's also fairly light compared to the competition. the price is right too. if, you, like me, have front hub issues and it isn't too tall i would recommend the short version of the fun, which is still mega tall.

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
no can do on the Funn. I won't be using a 20mm with this fork. Not too sure about the aesthetics of the surly fork. The DMR is tits looking, but heavy and pricey. What can someone tell me about the Gusset? or perhaps Gusset products in general? How's the quality?

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
their cranks are top shelf for the category, if that means anything to you. You can't really make generalizations about companies, i mean they all have their duds, and some ingenious outfits can still put out stuff that's pants.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
rvlacich said:
Strength will not be an issue
Hrm, all depends... I've pounded a few forks, bent 2 of them (granted, one was in to the side of a car), and know a few riders that have bent "hardcore" rigid forks. Strength is an issue, because the rigid will take a pounding if you're the type that either pushes yourself, or (like me) is an outright hack.