Quantcast

rim and tire widths???

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
does having a wider rim increase the tire width or height? cause i currently have a mammoth and wanna go to a trailpimp. i wanna put a 2.35 kujo on it, its going on a 01 stinky-d

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It would seem to me that going to a wider rim would both increase the casing width and the height of the tire. Then again, I haven't thought about it much, and just failed a chem exam to boot, so the ol' thinkbox may be out of whack.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
a wider rim will increase the height of the tire slightly, and will increse the width at the sidewalls pretty significantly. The tire will also ride very differently, because even though you increase the width of the sidewalls, the width of the tread stays the same, so you end up with a flatter tread pattern. Big tires are designed for big rims so it's not a problem, but if you try skinny tires on big rims, or vice versa you'll run into problems. A 2.35-2.5 tire should be happy on anything except maybe the skinniest rim.

As for clearance, I wouldn't know for that particular setup. I would expect a 2.35 to fit that bike on any rim, but it will get tighter with a wider rim, so if it's pretty close right now, you probably can't do it.