Quantcast

Rims?

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
So I'm probably going to be building a new rear wheel soon but I haven't decided on the rim yet. I was thinking about the alex dx32, I remember lots of people using them for trials and street because they are wide and don't pinch flat easily and they seem pretty cheap to replace.. Anyone have experience with these rims or know if they would be good on a park/dirtjump bike?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
721's are the standard by which all other rims are compared to, they have decent weight and are reliable.

I've had good results from dt 5.1's while others will think differently, they are lighter than the 721's.

i've been running mavic 719's people told me i was crazy to use such a "all mountain rim" on a street and dj bike, but i think they are the best i've ever used. they are narrower but i like the round profile it gives my tires.

atomlabs are also very reliable

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
i've been running mavic 719's people told me i was crazy to use such a "all mountain rim" on a street and dj bike, but i think they are the best i've ever used. they are narrower but i like the round profile it gives my tires.
this.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I run an Arrow DHX on the back laced to a Woodman ss hub. Fuggers bomb proof. Been riding it for over 2 years. trued it once a year ago I think. Even bought it used. American made hoops is where its at!

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
My wheel build plan consists of:

Spank Subrosa Rim
Hope Pro II hub
DT Swiss Black Spokes

I'd say go to your local shop and ask them what kind of a deal they can give you on the Spank Subrosa, it'll be cheap...real cheap. Cause QBP (the big distributor) has them on sale right now.

You should be able to get one at a retail price of 40 dollars or so. Which is what original cost was.

Wolfsburg

Chimp
Nov 2, 2008
Seattle
as others have mentioned, 721 is a killer rim. I like to run a 521 on the front. Same shape and size, but a little lighter. Also, any rim is only as good as the quality of it's build.

jimmy d

Chimp
Dec 12, 2007
Berthoud
Spank is making a name these days for sure. So far I've built up the Subrosa's, Spikes and Tweet Tweet's. Very round and true before tension and build up super stiff.
That or Mavic.