Quantcast

Rising Son: The Legend Of Skateboarder Christian Hosoi

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Hosoi Hammerhead decks sucked. Everybody I skated with swore by that. I snapped one myself.

Santa Cruz all the way man. My favorite decks were the Jeff Grosso and oddly enough the Rob Roskop model.

I always thought the art work on the SC boards was amazing.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hosoi Hammerhead decks sucked. Everybody I skated with swore by that. I snapped one myself.

Santa Cruz all the way man. My favorite decks were the Jeff Grosso and oddly enough the Rob Roskop model.
Misinformation.
First off, Hosoi was my idol as a kid.
He was absolutely awesome to watch airing it out.
Second, the Hosoi boards which I owned were actually made my Santa Cruz. So, they were the same strength as the Roskopp etc... boards.
But the Powell Peralta boads owned the school as far as construction and graphics. I had a Mike McGill board, with the skull with the snake in its mouth. I wish I would have kept that one for sure.

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC

I still have this deck. Not a remake, but one I bought in the 7th grade (19 years ago). It is kinda funny the stuff you hang on to. :twitch:

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
This pic is of my Bonite Cabalerro deck and my Hosoi vert deck.

Out of all the boards I rode (Natas Kaupus, Roskopp, Hawk, McGill, Cabalerro, Hosoi, and Gonzo) I would have to say my favorites were the Kaupus, Hawk and Lucero.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Powell boards were great.....except for the "bonite" layering experiment. Those sucked.

Christ-Air.

I grew up on the pacific ocean and rode skateboards everywere. Bonite lasted maybe 1 month before the cardboard layers started to come apart..........

My favorite graphic was the per welinder with the skull and helmet...

...Or maybe the Natas Kaupus boards,.... you know the ones that spelled SATAN backwards...

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Did you guys ever see the "Gator" movie?

It's funny to see a guy who could skate vert so well not be able to ollie up a curb.

Anyway that Per Welinder deck is just bad ass.

I am thinking about buying a old school board to ride to work from the train.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Oly, I had that Natas board you posted. Funny you mentioned the Satan thing. Growing up in the ruralish south, there was always some kid that claimed that Natas was "demonic". Ignorant hicks.

I think I had a Jeff Lucero too. Looking back on it now, I must have had a shiite load of skateboards over the 10 or so years of my skating career. I went through those things like PEZ.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My first 'real' deck was a G&S fiberflex, with Bennet trucks and Krypto wheels...In the eighties I too probably went through 30-40 decks. Boy, does snowboarding not produce as much pain!!!

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Geez, the decks I had.

Powell: Cab, Hawk, Lance Mountain

G&S: Ken Fillion

Santa Cruz: Slasher, Roskop

T&C: Don't know the name of the deck but it had a ying/Yang with a dragon on it.

Vision: Gator

I had a couple of others I can't remember right now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is that the guy in Lord's Of Dogtown...which is a great movie by the way!
No you're probably thinking of jay adams. He was arrested for drugs too. He moved to jacksonville when he got out (the first time) because kona was one of the only concrete parks left. Some old fat guy shows up snaking people on the mini ramp doing a bunch of speed killing slash grinds.......so of course I drop in and start mimicing him making fun. He gets all up in my face and we start screaming at each other. Then one of my friends says...."uh...hey dumbass.....that's jay adams". So then I just covered my bung hole for safety once I remembered how long he'd been in jail.

I can say this though. At least he never turned to jeezus for salvation. He went back to drugs like a real man.

this inventory is funny........I couldn't even begin to recite all the decks I had over the years.