Quantcast

Risse 888 crown/steerer......... My short review.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I had my first full day on the new Risse 888 lowering crown/steerer. Well first off I take back any words I've said about not needing these crowns. What a huge difference even with my Army which is already a big bike. Dropping the front end made a huge difference in turning and even hitting jumps (even though I suck at jumps) The bike seemed to be more stable and predictable and faster speeds. Bottom line is I thought the lowering crowns were just a lot of hype, but now I realize they can make a nice improvement to your bike. Would I recommend them...............yes, definatly. I think either the Risse or the Go-Ride (even though I haven't tried theirs I would assume they will give the same performance) will be a great addition so go for it!!!!!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Oh one negitive I can find with the Risse is the bolt location on the uppers, I was occasionaly hitting my knees on them:( From what I understand is Risse will be redesigning sometime in the future to eleminate this.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by biker3
but isnt the 05 888r supposed to be lower anyway?
If you're talking about the drop crown that's coming out soon that BP was talking about in another thread, that is only to fit bigger HT lengths not drop the ride height.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Matt D
If you're talking about the drop crown that's coming out soon that BP was talking about in another thread, that is only to fit bigger HT lengths not drop the ride height.
Thats what I was thinking.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
So it safe to say that the crowns are almost a 'necessity'??? Cuz 100% (I think) of the people who get them say the fork is better with them.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
So it safe to say that the crowns are almost a 'necessity'??? Cuz 100% (I think) of the people who get them say the fork is better with them.
Its kinda looking that way, like I said I thought it was mostly hype, but its not.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
If money is an issue, you can just get the 7 inch version.
I went that route, because the 7 inch fits my small DHR better.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ah, but take into account that 90% of the people who drop a bunch of money on something, say it's better than when they didn't have it, regardless of how it performs.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'll post a pic tommorrow of my bike to show you how drasticly high the nose of my bike is right now with the 8 inch 888 on it.

I hate to spend that kind of money on those crowns, but my handlebars are in the sky.....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by binary visions
Ah, but take into account that 90% of the people who drop a bunch of money on something, say it's better than when they didn't have it, regardless of how it performs.
I can agree with you there, but for me its not the case. It was a fairly inexpensive experiment that happened to work out.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I can agree with you there, but for me its not the case. It was a fairly inexpensive experiment that happened to work out.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure the crowns worked great for you. My comment was aimed at the suggestion that everyone needs these crowns, and that feedback on them has been positive from everyone who has them. Just wanted to point out that 100% positive feedback doesn't necessarily mean the product has actually made a difference for 100% of those people.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by binary visions
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sure the crowns worked great for you. My comment was aimed at the suggestion that everyone needs these crowns, and that feedback on them has been positive from everyone who has them. Just wanted to point out that 100% positive feedback doesn't necessarily mean the product has actually made a difference for 100% of those people.
I understand what you're saying, My bike was totally fine before I got them and could definatly live without them.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I installed my new Risse lowered crowns and while I like the improvement in front end traction and turn in the lower crown hits my downtube at full lock.

They have two bolts security the clamp at the rear side of the crown and they stick out much further than the rubber bumper Zoch supplies with the fork to prevent hitting the legs on the frame.

I called Risse and they said I'd have to figure something out on my own to prevent the crowns hitting my frame. Any of you monkeys have any bright ideas?

I'd like to find a nice clean solution, wrapping three rolls of duct tape around my fork legs might work but it's not my preferred fix :D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
crashing_sux said:
I installed my new Risse lowered crowns and while I like the improvement in front end traction and turn in the lower crown hits my downtube at full lock.

They have two bolts security the clamp at the rear side of the crown and they stick out much further than the rubber bumper Zoch supplies with the fork to prevent hitting the legs on the frame.

I called Risse and they said I'd have to figure something out on my own to prevent the crowns hitting my frame. Any of you monkeys have any bright ideas?

I'd like to find a nice clean solution, wrapping three rolls of duct tape around my fork legs might work but it's not my preferred fix :D
Gotta pic?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
put bumpers on the frame where the crowns hit. Something like the self adhesive rubber pads you find on the bottom of small electronic devices. Other than that I'd have to say it's time to bust out the dremel tool :devil:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
OK...I gotta post this!
I just called Risse to see if they were having to ship any stuff to Snowshoe by 3 day or anything. The guy that answered said "What's that?" He didn't know what Snowshoe was...he didn't know there was a National there....totally clueless. I was frickin stunned.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
he is probably suffering from short term memory loss due to excessive inhalation of mind altering substances...I'm sure he will remember after he replenishes his brain with fat cells by eating a whole pack of King Size Reeces Peanut Butter cups.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
crashing_sux said:
---
Hey, I tried something the other day that was recommended in Acadian's thread about chainstay protectors...self-adhesive (or self-amalgamating) rubber pipe tape. You can get it at some hardware/plumbing stores, but I got mine from AutoZone...pipe wrap tape, I think they called it. (Home depot's version of pipe tape wasn't the same thing, btw. It was just heavy PVC adhesive tape).

It's a thin rubber that stretches as you wrap things in it, and bonds to itself a short time after it's been in contact. You could put a few wraps around the crown fore-to-aft, maybe... For a quick fix, tho, I'd just ziptie a piece of those fatass Oury grips I no longer use to the back of the chainstay. They make awesome bumpers, and the hand-grenade pattern makes them easy to run zipties on them.

MD

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
MikeD said:
Hey, I tried something the other day that was recommended in Acadian's thread about chainstay protectors...self-adhesive (or self-amalgamating) rubber pipe tape. You can get it at some hardware/plumbing stores, but I got mine from AutoZone...pipe wrap tape, I think they called it. (Home depot's version of pipe tape wasn't the same thing, btw. It was just heavy PVC adhesive tape).

It's a thin rubber that stretches as you wrap things in it, and bonds to itself a short time after it's been in contact. You could put a few wraps around the crown fore-to-aft, maybe... For a quick fix, tho, I'd just ziptie a piece of those fatass Oury grips I no longer use to the back of the chainstay. They make awesome bumpers, and the hand-grenade pattern makes them easy to run zipties on them.

MD
Good idea, I'll have to pick some of that stuff up.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Cool. And I meant 'crown,' not 'chainstay,' re: the oury grips; sorry.