Quantcast

Road bike advice...........

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I've been offered a smokin deal on a Schwinn Fastback, all 105 group, it's got a triple crank which I'll probably replace with an FSA compact 2 ring crank........but otherwise it's sweet.

So any advice out there from anyone who's had or knows someone who's had a Fastback.

In the past I've had some brand whore issues, but with this deal (and hey it's a road bike, this is for training and fitness not my main ride) it's hard not to pass up.

You're thoughts are appreciated.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Andyman_1970 said:
...it's got a triple crank which I'll probably replace with an FSA compact 2 ring crank...
Why?

I wouldn't change anything* on the bike until you know for a fact that you like it -and- that it fits comfortably enough.

The fastbacks are mid-grade steel, yeah? So that's cool. And 105 is good stuff.

* except stuff that's really easy to move and is critical to comfort, like saddle, pedals...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
This fastback is AL with carbon seat stays, compact frame geometry...........

I'm sure the triple is a good crank (Truvative Elita)...........I guess I'm a bit of a "crank" snob when it comes to double vs. triple on a road bike...............hey at least I can admit it.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Depends what this "smokin' deal" is. On the double vs. triple, there are some big hills here in OC, and I survive fine with a double. Plus, the double gives me the ability to crank up even the steepest hills at a min. of 7 mph - WAY faster than my MTB (with a triple) would take them.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
uhh, it isn't 'double vs triple'... it's why spend the money?

At that point, you might was well pool the money from the bike and new crank and buy exactly what you want, exactly what's right for you.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
is it new?

Cuz unused 105 components and a carbon fork are worth $600 by themselves :) not to mention wheels that are either good or can be abused.

If it fits well enough, get it :thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This your standard Taiwanese racing bike. You could get a K2 or a Jamis and it is about the same.

A road bike snob (is that superfluous?) would poo on a bike like that, but I think it is a solid value and a great first road bike.

You probably would not get any better if you bought a Trek or SpecEd in that price range.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
LordOpie said:
what's the cheapest new 105 bike on the market? Something with some sort of brand recognition?
I would get a REI bike, Novara or K2, but I would wait until they had their once a year 25% off sale (typically around May).

They might have stopped the discount program for bikes, but I bet the most of their AS-X and 575 sales happened on that day.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
$600 is WAY cheap for 105 components (is that 105 drivetrain, or just rear dr?) most likely just the rear dr.

My vote is go for it. I'm a little biased against REI - years back when I bought an entry-level MTB, I got a new specialized with better components than any of the crap they had.

The latest issue of bicycling has a "buyers guide" that's limited in scope, but may be of some help.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Everything on the Fastback comp is 105, brakes, front and rear dr, crank is Truvativ, wheels are bottom spec Rolf paired spoke.

I agree that "Schwinn" lost alot of it's appeal when it was purchaed by Pacific...........but $600 for a solid 105 bike (not just rear dr.) is almost too good to pass up.

This will be my second road bike (first was a 2001 Cannondale R600, which I kept for 2 years).......I wanted a bike that had compact geometery and cheap......it will be a training/fitness bike.

I think a cheap Felt or Cannondale (Synapse) that is all 105 would be around 1200-1400 from what I've seen.

I've got the latest issue of Bicyling, and it was helpful..........

Thanks for all your comments...............LordOpie you seem to be the one with roadie s'mikah on here..........;)

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Andyman_1970 said:
Everything on the Fastback comp is 105, brakes, front and rear dr,
In that case, definitely get it. I was betting you'd at least have some crappy Tektro brakes on it or something.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
$600.00 doesn't buy much when it comes to road bikes... Schwinn was famous for spec'ing the highly visible components from one group and the rest of the bits from a lesser group. If your bike is indeed the full meal deal then the price seems OK as long as the bike IS EXACTLY as new. Right now this model sells on eBay for about $750.00 new... much less used.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
rooftest said:
...On the double vs. triple, there are some big hills here in OC, and I survive fine with a double. Plus, the double gives me the ability to crank up even the steepest hills at a min. of 7 mph - WAY faster than my MTB (with a triple) would take them.
Rooftest, it's not a straight comparison between a road and mountain triple. Granny gear on my mtn bike is a 22/32 on a 26 inch wheel. Low as I can go on the road bike is 32/26 on a 700c wheel.

Andie, don't know where you are, so this may not apply. I live in an area with steep hills and can't ride as much as I used to. I opted for a triple on my road bike and haven't regretted it.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
HarryCallahan said:

Rooftest, it's not a straight comparison between a road and mountain triple. Granny gear on my mtn bike is a 22/32 on a 26 inch wheel. Low as I can go on the road bike is 32/26 on a 700c wheel.
I hope you got my point, though - granny gear = lower gears = lower speed.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Andy, why so vague on the pricing?

If I understand you correctly, the bike is closer to $500 cuz you say $600 and that includes buying a new crank?

$500 for a new AL+CF bike that fits you well enough and is full 105 is a great deal, one that makes a jew drool.

I still think you should keep the money from the new crank and save that towards something more useful... like dinner with the wife :evil:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
LordOpie said:
Andy, why so vague on the pricing?
I've got a friend who has a 2005 Fastback comp that he wasn't able to ride (bought it towards the end of the year) and now has to sell it for tax reasons...........he was thinking 500-550, and 100 for a FSA compact crank puts me in the neighborhood of 600.

It's full up 105, FSA headset and some kind of Rolf wheels........the frame looks like a mass produced Taiwan frame but the components at that price are hard to beat.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm with L'oopie on this one, the triple is fine - why mess with the cranks, chain, derailluers & sti shifters? Swapping from triple to double isn't always as easy as changing the crank. Offer your pal $450.00. :oink:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Serial Midget said:
I'm with L'oopie on this one, the triple is fine - why mess with the cranks, chain, derailluers & sti shifters? Swapping from triple to double isn't always as easy as changing the crank. Offer your pal $450.00. :oink:
oh right, forgot... which is why SM is always here to save the day.

You might have to change a lot more than just the crank.

J

JRB

I think it's a good deal, but to change, you will need a new bottom bracket too. I have made triple front derailleurs work on doubles, but some folks can't. I dig my compact cranks, so I won't try to talk you out of it. Post pics when you get em.