Quantcast

Road bike help for a DH'er

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'm getting a new road bike because an injury has forced me off the mountain for a little while. I'm currently looking at an '05 Specialized Allez Elite triple:

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9355&JServSessionIdroot=eb0jgs46xn.j27002

Any input on this bike or the Allez line in general. I don't want to spend a ton of cash but want a nice riding bike with decent specs. This looks to be one of the best deals this season, although I will admit I know zero about road bikes. Other brands available to me are:

Trek
Lemond
Bianchi
Co-Motion

Also, I've been thinking of ways to help take some stress off my hands (I broke both of them) while riding and was thinking about adding those brake levers that go on the tops of your bars anyone use these?? I figured this might make me have to get down to my hoods less and take a bit of stress off the hands/wrists, even if they are probably dorky and you are all laughing at me right now!! Also thinking about a good set of ergonomic bars. Any suggestions??

Any info would be much appriciated. Also, I'm buying a new bike and getting a great deal so please don't spam me.

Thanks in advance!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
If you get the Allez, it might be worth your while to change the OE Al bars to carbon to cut down on the high frequency vibs. As for the low ones, get fatter tires, like 25 or 28. Bennies on this are, more meat on the ground for cornering if you're not a smooth rider, more resistance for training, and more shock absorption for your wrist and stiff frame. Another thing is maybe get a slightly shorter and taller stem for early in your healing progress. As you build your strength back, change back to the OE one. Looking at the pic of the Allez, you might be able to get away w/ flipping the OE stem.

Edit: sorry, the Allez is a steel frame. Mis-read the ad.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
OK, I'm beginning to feel like a schizoid now. Apparently, the "SLX" used on the Allez is an Aluminum tubeset (E5), unlike the old SLX which was a ribbed butted steel tubeset. With this in mind, a compact & Al frame = stiff. And, if you're a light weight, this stiffness might beat the hell out of you and your wrist. Here's a quick review on the bike, altho I'm not sure which year it for:
http://www.pedalmag.com/index.php?module=Section&action=viewdetail&item_id=164

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DH Diva said:
That looks like a really nice bike, but Jamis is not a brand that I can get a deal on.

So you guys recommend steel over aluminum for the softer ride? What about something with an aluminum main frame and a carbon rear end?
:oops: didn't read your post closely.

you want cx brakes, that's cool. Who cares if anyone laughs. And, umm, OUCH! both hands broken? What happened?

I think most people would recommend steel, so start there, test ride all the bikes you can get the discount on that are steel and in your price range. Sounds like your DH sponsors can get you a good price, so that's cool.

As far as your hands go, you might want to test ride (even AL) bikes that have Campy hoods. They're ergo different than shimano, so test 'em both.

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
The Allez is a great bike, not overly stiff, also look at the specialized roubaix line, VERY comforatable riding bikes with carbon seatstays, bars and seatpost, so a very forgiving ride, comes with an Ultegra/105 mix for the lowest end, and has i believe 3 models above it that are all very nicely specd. Similarly the Trek 200 series bikes are very comfortable, but i prefer the Specialized because im short, but if Treks fit you better get one of those, its not a bad comprimise.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
You might even look into a cross bike as the bars are usually higher so less pressure on the wrists, and they have more tire clearance.

I have a steel mainframe(columbus zona) with carbon seatstays. Very nice ride.

I have aluminum bars double wrapped w/cork over a layer of cloth tape. Look for bars that have a flatter section on top when riding on the hoods.

Some people even put flat bars onto there road bikes.

Or get some of these. :D Just use barend shifter instead of sti.:rolleyes:

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
Look at specialized's roubaix, you ll get the vibration dampening that you need to keep that wrist healthy so you can get back on the big bike asap. Hope this helps. I worked for a specialized dealer and the Roubaix's are top notch ( not something you will grow out of)

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Alloy VS steel is a poor argument for road bikes now, most new alloy bikes are made well enough that they easy beat steel for comfort.
Check out Trek they are almost the only team in the tour to use stock bikes which impresses me. Im sure you are not intrested in buying Lances machine or anything but I feel it says loads about how much faith they have in there kit.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I'm primarily a downhiller as well. I needed a road bike to do a tour in Colorado last summer. After some research, I ended up with a Giant TCR1. It was 1 year old, Ultegra specs, Rolf Comp wheelset,carbon fork + seatpost, 18#.....I got it for $950 total on Ebay. I would say Trek or Giant would be good bets. You get more for your $ with the mass production companies.
As far as the handlebar issue. I would suggest wider regular bars with a taller stem, maybe some of those gel pack things under the handlebar tape. That should be comfy enough, no need for funky/expensive stuff.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Fit is the key to making sure you will be comfortable. another thing is keeping your elbows bent and using your core muscles and your arms together to eliminate pressure. If you would like assistance with fit drop me a PM, I have helped out several monkeys and I am sure they will let you know if I did a good job ;)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
DH Diva said:
I'm getting a new road bike because an injury has forced me off the mountain for a little while. I'm currently looking at an '05 Specialized Allez Elite triple:

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9355&JServSessionIdroot=eb0jgs46xn.j27002

Any input on this bike or the Allez line in general. I don't want to spend a ton of cash but want a nice riding bike with decent specs. This looks to be one of the best deals this season, although I will admit I know zero about road bikes. Other brands available to me are:

Trek
Lemond
Bianchi
Co-Motion

Also, I've been thinking of ways to help take some stress off my hands (I broke both of them) while riding and was thinking about adding those brake levers that go on the tops of your bars anyone use these?? I figured this might make me have to get down to my hoods less and take a bit of stress off the hands/wrists, even if they are probably dorky and you are all laughing at me right now!! Also thinking about a good set of ergonomic bars. Any suggestions??

Any info would be much appriciated. Also, I'm buying a new bike and getting a great deal so please don't spam me.

Thanks in advance!
What did you end up getting, the Allez? I'm curious.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I love the Allez Elite, but I wonder about your hands. I never minded riding aluminum, but I never had to deal with broken wrists. I suppose steel is better.

Actually being on the tops of the bars is a bad position for the wrists. You have to bend them to keep the hands parallel to the ground, the preferred position for handling. I prefer the tops of the bars. You can use your forearm to support your weight, and with gel pads and carbon bars, it is more comfortable.

I think the big thing is for $1100 bucks, it is a smoking deal.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I'm going to say tire pressure is one of the biggest things for comfort.

I switched from my 30cc(90 psi) crosstires to some 25cc(115psi) road tires and that totally changed the ride of the bike. :dead: As soon as summer rolls around and I don't need to ride the trainer, the cross tires are going back on.

DH Diva said:

Trek
Lemond
Bianchi
Co-Motion

Thanks in advance!

Diva, hey, it's good to hear your making progress and are at least able to start riding again. :thumb: I'm just over 2 months out from my scaphoid surgery and while it was nothing even close to your horrific injuries, it does feel good to get back out there.

Well, I actually own the '04 Allez Comp (Dual ring AI version) and I've recently just started riding it again. It's definately a great bike and the component spec is really good for the price, but after a 15 mile ride, my wrist starts to get pretty sore.

I was dating a woman last year that went the Roubaix route and was very happy with the choice. She's very active in Team in Training and has a few 100 mile races on it already. My $.02 says at least look into that model. As pointed out earlier, getting properly fitted is really more important than anything else.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery.....