Quantcast

Road selection bike advice

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Hey folks,

I am in the market for a road bike, I'm in no hurry so I've been doing some research lately.

I have narrowed it down to the following:

Litespeed Vela

Specialized Allez comp double / elite double

I like the compact frame geometry for some reason and am looking for a Shimano 105 group and somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations, I thought this might be a good way to kill a Friday afternoon at work...........shopping for a road bike.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm not that familiar with either of those, but isn't the Allez aluminum?

While many people love AL, I've heard some complain. I've never heard anyone complain about steel. Granted, i've only been paying attention to this for a year now. Is the Litespeed steel?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
They are both AL. I like the ride qualities of steel but not enough to have a bike that weights a pound or two more than an AL bike. Plus I think AL bikes nowadays are cheaper than decent steel bikes.

EpicRide

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
Bay Area
Steel doesn't have to be heavy. When I finish building up my new frame( Fuji Roubaix Pro, which is Reynolds 853 steel) it will weight around 19.5 pounds. That's not superlight, but I'm no lightweight either. And it will cost me about $750 overall( including replacing the drivetrain, since many of the parts came off my old LeMond frame).

I can't wait to be able to ride on the roads again. All this mountain biking is too fun to be a good workout.. =)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Andyman_1970 said:
They are both AL. I like the ride qualities of steel but not enough to have a bike that weights a pound or two more than an AL bike. Plus I think AL bikes nowadays are cheaper than decent steel bikes.
My 100% steel Serotta with a steel fork weighs in at 19.5LBS with pedals. The difference in weight is measured in grams - not pounds. Aluminum is just cheaper to work with these days - Litespeeds most desirable frames are not aluminum, they are titanium.

Next to titanium there is no substitute for a quality lugged steel frame.

Sep 1, 2004
if you want to buy a bike hit me up

Bianchi EV4 frame 57cm with dura ace/ultegra components, WCS bar/stem/seatpost, Fizik Arione saddle, Race X lite wheels with pro race tires

Can also sell it for 1800 with Mavic Cosmos or 1600 with no wheels

The frame has a small dent in the top tube from the handlebars hitting the frame during a crash. Other then that everything is in perfect shape. Email for pictures.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
math2014 said:
Gios STEEL, i just hope to get the sizing right....shoot with any advice...
want some advice, here ya go...

ride that mutha! :D

I think you made the right choice. Did you have a local shop measure you or did you guess?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
LordOpie said:
want some advice, here ya go...

ride that mutha! :D

I think you made the right choice. Did you have a local shop measure you or did you guess?
I measured myself with accuracy. 82cm inseam, 150 sternum notch, 58-59cm arm length.

Now according to wrenchscience i should be on a frame with a 54 seattube and 56 TT with a 110mm stem.

Gios is 56-55, 57-55.5 , 58-56 etc... but with 74deg seat angle. I guess i should stick to a 110-120mm stem and then pic the size that will produce 67-68cm of reach.

BTW my old road bike was an old Reynolds 501 frame, 56size with a 55TT and a 10cm stem.

splat

Nam I am
I also Have 2 road ( OK 4 if you count the Fixie and the Tandem) Bikes When I replaced my 12 year old AL framed Bike with a CF frame bike I couldn't believe how much flex the AL frame had developed. ,My wife bought a High end Stell Bike in 1979 the thing is still as stiff as it ever was . Next New Road Bike I get --> Steel!

I only got the carbon Fibre Bike , becasue the Deal was just way to good to pass Up!

STEEL is real !

next should start the Campy Vs. sh1tmano

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
EpicRide said:
Steel doesn't have to be heavy. When I finish building up my new frame( Fuji Roubaix Pro, which is Reynolds 853 steel) it will weight around 19.5 pounds. That's not superlight, but I'm no lightweight either. And it will cost me about $750 overall( including replacing the drivetrain, since many of the parts came off my old LeMond frame).

I can't wait to be able to ride on the roads again. All this mountain biking is too fun to be a good workout.. =)
i have the same frame, i bought it on mega close-out and threw everything from my old GT onto it. i loved the GT but i never realized that you weren't supposed to taste blood on rough roads until i hit the streets with 853.
on a similar note, fuji's roubaix (not pro) is alu with carbon seat stays, and that rides pretty sweet too, 105/ultegra for around 1100$

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Depends on what your using the bike for... Steel rides way better aluminum at the $1000 price point if your using it to train who cares if it weighs more... your trying to get stronger right....