Quantcast

road tire recommendations

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my ride yesterday was curtailed when i found a rear flat...i swapped the tubes, and then decided to check out where the tube failed, and ended up finding a tear in the tire. i think it's some sort of michelin, but truth be told i have no idea what would be the best tire to get. any suggestions?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I've been running Vredestein tires and I've been really happy with them. I had a problem with flat tires prior to getting the Vredesteins, and I haven't had one flat since

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I ran some Fortezza SEs last year for about 1600 miles. I swapped to a new Diamante Pro Vittoria on the front and threw a used one on the back. I flatted twice on Sunday in the same spot so I have now a new front one and the other new front one on the back.

On a budget I like Vredstein Fortezza SEs or Bontrager Race Lites. I am actually gonna run some Mich Pro 3s today, but they will likely be off tomorrow.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I used to have horrible problems with flats, almost every ride, then I switched to these and haven't had a single flat since:

Continental Gran Prix Attack Front Road Tire
Continental Gran Prix Force Road Tire

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
yeah diamonte pros are definitely great tires. give them a try and i bet you won't try another brand.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I was having an issue with flats on my old Conti's...(but they were lower end and at the end of their proverbial rope, so I'll cut 'em some slack.)

I've put about 400 miles on a set of Schwalbe Stelvio's, and I gotta say, they're nice. Low rolling resistance, nice profile, corner on rails. No flats even with a nice big staple embedded in the rear...prolly rode on it for about 4 miles before I noticed it when I got home. Even though it went really deep into the tire, it didn't go all the way through...and with a 275 lb. dude on it, it should've...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah diamonte pros are definitely great tires. give them a try and i bet you won't try another brand.
first review on Performance
Too Many Flats!!!
By CakidVerified Reviewer from San Jose, Ca on 4/14/2008
Pros:
Excellent Grip, Low Rolling Resistance
Cons:
Punctures Easily, Wears Easily
Best Uses:
Serious Racing/Training, Sprinting
Describe Yourself:
Avid Cyclist
Bottom Line:
No, I would not recommend this to a friend

I bought these tires for my new Cervelo because of the light weight and ability to inflate to 140 PSI. However I had so many flats that after 1,000 miles I replaced the rear tire becuase it was so cut up. With only 500 miles on the replacement tire I have had over a dozen more flats - including 4 within 24 hours on the rear tire. I am going back to Michelin Pro2, which handle great and never let me down.
i went w/ the vredestein

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i have been rocking the same set of specialized armadillos since 2004? 2003? i've had maybe two flats over that period. phenomenal. sure, they're probably not the stickiest or the lightest but i'm not in competition.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
i have been rocking the same set of specialized armadillos since 2004? 2003? i've had maybe two flats over that period. phenomenal. sure, they're probably not the stickiest or the lightest but i'm not in competition.
ha ha...that's what I had on my bike for the past 7-8 years (red ones)...they were so worn out that when I took them off, they literally had a square profile :twitch: I also only got 1-2 flats at most while running those tires and I've logged a lot of miles on them.

now I'm running some cheap kenda tires I found on sale at my LBS

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
My Sprinter Gatorskins are holding up nicely, though they aren't the smoothest, most comfortable tire. Still no flats. I've got a collection of Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubies waiting for me, but i'm scared they'll flat.

Narlus-didja go with the Fortezza SE or the Tri Comps?
I've been a huge fan of the Tri Comps personally...but I own a bike shop, otherwise I'd be running the regular Fortezza's. Very good tyres.
Used to be a devout Vittoria Open Corsa CX tyre fanatic, then I got my hands on the Fortezza tyres and haven't felt the need to ever switch.
Tried the Michelins...but never inspired me much. Just didn't feel good cornering.
Conti Gators are the best riding flat protection tyre out there, that's readily available. I've got some cyclo-tourista's that swear by Schwalbe tyres, but damned hard to get a solid line on getting them in stock regularly.
Tried out a set of hutchinson Carbon tyres recently....two weeks worth of rides....yanked them off. Scary cornering tyres. Slid out second ride. Gave it three more days, but couldn't come to terms with the mushy feeling, non-connected, feel. No feedback in the corners.

Anyway, good choice with the Vredesteins!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
There are two versions of the Diamonte Pros. I think the light version is the one getting all the bad reviews.

I asked the same dumb question Narlus did a while back...except I listened to my fellow monkeys :D

j-wasilenko

Chimp
Jan 7, 2008
Nelson, BC
I've been using the Hutchinson Fusion 2's that came stock on my Cannondale for the past 2 years now. 4500km on the pair and only one flat. Pretty square and worn out, and the other day I skidded for 2 feet and ripped some of the rubber off so out shopping for some new tires today.