Quantcast

roadies are tough...

kissthepink

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
Mario Cippollini just hit the ground in a group sprint at 40MPH.
got up, and rode across the finish with a bloody knee.
Next time you're in your car doing 40mph down the road, imagine stepping out of it wearing a lightweight helmet and lycra.
No full face or body armor.
Those guys go 40mph surrounded by riders on all sides, on pavement.
Crazy.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Ouch! That is why they call him the Lion King!

I haven't crashed on my road bike yet (knock on wood) but I've been run off the road in two races because people don't hold their freak'n lines.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
40 mph and he only got a few scratches? Damn! He must be made of steel. I've crashed at like 20mph on the trails and it took me a min to get back up... I cant imagine double the speed, and on concrete... and he's not even wearing a helmet :eek:!!!
What's even more impressive is that his ~15lb bike is still ridable. At least he can make endorphines.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
He was wearing a helmet. It did take him a minute to get back up. The road was wet so that helped keep the road rash down. He looked to be in serious pain.

He either lost it on the white stripe or somebody rear ended him.

One dude that ran over/into Mario's bike sheared his carbon fork.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Wumpus
He was wearing a helmet. It did take him a minute to get back up. The road was wet so that helped keep the road rash down. He looked to be in serious pain.

He either lost it on the white stripe or somebody rear ended him.

One dude that ran over/into Mario's bike sheared his carbon fork.

It appears his teammate - leadout man swerved slightly and took out his front wheel. :dead:

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Good examples of why I have yet to race road... watchin some Tour on OLN the other night and how jammed packed the group was, crap one rider goes down its a domino effect and everyone spills behind him.

I honestly think you have to be partially insane to ride on skinny arse tires like that, wearing lycra, going 40mph plus with riders bar to bar, tire to tire. I'll stick to DH and trail riding thank you!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by neurostar
Eh, I'd say look at his knee... ;)
he's missing nothing dude trust me. i was taken out in a field sprint about a month ago and i walked out of it missing WAY more skin than he is.....

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
Originally posted by indieboy
he's missing nothing dude trust me. i was taken out in a field sprint about a month ago and i walked out of it missing WAY more skin than he is.....
Yea, I suppose it's not too nasty... I guess he got some stitches on his other ankle though... that's gotta suck.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by neurostar
Eh, I'd say look at his knee... ;)
even if he's cut to the top protective (white) layer of his knee cap, that just requires cleaning and stitches... about four, with a drain. Been there, done that, rode the three miles on singletrack to get home. Now, that doesn't mean he's not a badass, cuz he is.

Hell, I'm hurting from a 3mph slide in the sand from yesterday. The road is most unforgiving and road racers have my utmost respect.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Shouldn't be suprising that any of em would have a high threshold for pain. I rode my road bike for 80 miles at moderate pace on mostly flat and i thought i dropped and lost my ass somewhere along the 50 mile mark.....:monkey:

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Originally posted by Carbon Fetish
looks like most of the damage was to his right leg, cant see it in the picture, but check out the sock on his right foot....soaked in blood...

also, heres a quote from velonews
"The duel between Petacchi and Cipollini is one of the top storylines of the 2004 Giro, but the story might get put to bed earlier than anyone expected. Race leader Gilberto Simoni (Saeco) safely negotiated the melee to retain the maglia rosa, but Super Mario might be headed for an early exit.

While X-rays revealed no broken bones, doctors cautioned Cipollini won't be able to make a decision on whether he'll start Thursday's fifth stage until the morning. The 2002 world champion received 10 stitches to his right shin and four stitches to his left elbow. "

10 stiches...not too nice...