Quantcast

rock climbs

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
So I keep seeing these rocks on the trail that you can't just roll up by pedaling hard, but I've seen people climb them. How is it done? Nothing too large just those square shaped rocks about 2 feet tall.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

You need a little momentum.

Lift your front wheel over the edge.

Do a little weight shifting and a pedal stroke. You can also pull the rear wheel up by pulling up on the pedals.

Up you go.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
The weight shifting is key. Shift it back when you lift the front wheel. This will help un-weigh the front end in case you don't get the front wheel high enough. After you've got the front end over, and at the moment that your back wheel hits the rock, shift your weight forward. This will help un-weigh the back end so that it has a better chance of rolling up and over the rock. But be careful not to shift your weight too far forward because you'll need to give a pedal stroke to make it over the rock. If you don't have enough weight on the back end, your rear tire will spin out. As soon as that happens, you're done. What is also key in this situation is to not be in a really low gear. A too low of gear will cause you to spin out more easily, and will also keep you from making it over the rock in one pedal stroke.

Another trick to get the rear end up and over is to do the lunge. Once the front end is up and over and the rear wheel is at the rock, push forward on the handlebars, pull up on your pedals with your feet and "lunge" your body forward. This only works if you have enough momentum, so try coming at the obstacle with a bit of speed.

When trying to power through a rock garden section that has a lot of obstacles, I tend to stay crouched over my seat, but not sitting. This keeps my weight down so I don't spin out, but gives me a bit more power in my legs. It also allows me to shift my weight quickly back and forward as needed.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
It's hard to describe, but you want to keep your body moving forward through the entire process. I disagree with pixelninja's statement that you need to get your weight back...you need to keep your weight moving forward so you maintain enough momentum to get your bike over the obstacle.

I use a pedal stroke to get my front wheel up; once my front wheel is on the obstacle, my body position is low compared to the bike; you then have the advantage of having your arms bent and your body forward on the bike - push your bike forward while sucking up the back end with your legs (not lifting with the pedals, but allowing the back end to come up as you push the front through the obstacle.)

When cleaning something this way, you don't need as much speed going into it as you would if you were to pull the front up without a pedal stroke. The key is to stay smooth, relaxed and keep forward momentum with your body. Practice it and you'll get better with the timing.

Sean

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Buck Fever said:
It's hard to describe, but you want to keep your body moving forward through the entire process. I disagree with pixelninja's statement that you need to get your weight back...you need to keep your weight moving forward so you maintain enough momentum to get your bike over the obstacle.

I use a pedal stroke to get my front wheel up; once my front wheel is on the obstacle, my body position is low compared to the bike; you then have the advantage of having your arms bent and your body forward on the bike - push your bike forward while sucking up the back end with your legs (not lifting with the pedals, but allowing the back end to come up as you push the front through the obstacle.)
After reading your post and re-reading what I wrote, I have to agree that using a pedal stroke to help get the front up up and over the rock is excellent advice. But think about it; when you hit that pedal stroke and pull up on your bars, what are you doing to the front end of your bike? You're taking all the weight off of it. Have you ever tried to pop a wheelie while keeping all your weight over the front tire? Doesn't work very well. You can definitely shift your weight back while keeping your forward momentum going. Trying to keep your weight forward the whole time is just begging for an endo. And when I speak of shifting your weight, I'm talking about subtle changes in position. Throwing your body back too hard when trying to get over the rock will kill your momentum. Throwing your body too hard forward when trying to roll over the rock will cause you to spin out. Subtle shifts.

But hey, everyone has their own style (and their own way of describing how its done). In my experience, forward momentum and subtle weight shifting are both crucial for technical climbing. As are staying smooth and relaxed, like you mentioned.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Another technique is to get your front wheel up and grab your front brake. Essentially endo to get your rear wheel up.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
it's like hopping but before you hop you gotta get your front wheel up.

So approach with momentum, it's your friend!

Lean forward and wheelie up.

Then just like if you are jumping without a bike (make sure you are off your saddle) bend your knee's and hop your rear wheel up and over. (you don't need clipless, but it will help you get more pull up)

While doing this push your handlebars forward like if you were shoving someone.

Shift your body according to if the rock goes flat or back down. Like say if the rock goes back down stay off the saddle let the bike roll off the rock and get behind the saddle as the rear wheel get's off the rock.

You can wheelie drop too, and that's pretty necessary off of BIG logs and rocks, but you're gettin into expert mode there.

Be stable, firm, confident.... be light on that back wheel, next thing you know you'll be acing em without thinking about it. :thumb:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
if the rock is anything less than vertical in most cases you can just ride up an obstacle. Just make sure you don't get caught in the sharp point where the ground meets the rock, a little body english, some speed and a good pedal stroke can get you over a suprisingly large obstacle. If all else fails hang out for a while on the side of the trail and try watch a few people who can climb up a rock face then try to copy them.