Quantcast

Rock Shox Sid Models

Which SID would you choose?

• Basic RACE "No Frills" 2.66 LBS no remote.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • World Cup 2.89 LBS with remote lockout & compression adj..

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • TEAM 2.87 LBS with remote Lockout & compression adj.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am going to order a new fork for my Giant XTC hard tail. I chose the frame on a whim as a warranty replacement and built it with the junk from the broken frame. This included a porky Marzocchi X-Fly 100 fork that weighs something over 4LBS, RynoLite (HAH) rims and Avid 7" disks. Everything else is XT and that won't change, XTR is too expensive for me. I like the disks - they stay, rims/hubs are fine for now but they will go next. I already have the obligatory Thomson seat post and stem so the biggest weight savings I can make right now is with a new fork. I already have a 2002 SID SL on my zippy Y-Frame and I like it just fine so I will get another.

My question is about the different models with weights between 2.66 and 2.87 LBS. I am leaning towards the RACE base model as the lightest but the original spec fork is a TEAM issue, the other choice is WORLD CUP.

So... are those little gizmos worth the extra cash or should I go with my gut and get the strippo RACE? The remote lockout and damping seems like a cool idea but it also sounds like more stuff to break. Thoughts?

See them here.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I would definitely get a Z.1 FR SL. :devil:

Seriously though, why not look at the Fox Float? I could ramble off on the advantages, but everybody already knows them.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
I would definitely get a Z.1 FR SL. :devil:

Seriously though, why not look at the Fox Float? I could ramble off on the advantages, but everybody already knows them.
Yeah the Float is nice but freakin heavy. Racers can benefit from a light fork.

I'd get the 2.66 pound one. I'd never use lockout and I think those remote lockout levers look dumb.

As for me - I'm hoping that Black Box 100mm duke is available next year - thats just what I have been wanting.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
If your gonna go SID, go World Cup for the bling factor, Midge of all people should know this.

Originally posted by Ridemonkey
Yeah the Float is nice but freakin heavy. Racers can benefit from a light fork.

I'd get the 2.66 pound one. I'd never use lockout and I think those remote lockout levers look dumb.

RM.....The more levers you have on your bike, the cooler it is, where you been? You could have a batmobike.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If your gonna go SID, go World Cup for the bling factor, Midge of all people should know this.

RM.....The more levers you have on your bike, the cooler it is, where you been? You could have a batmobike.
I could call my bike "Inspector Gadget" and every time I get started after a break I could say "Go go Gadget go" untl my riding buddies beat me to death.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am very attracted to the bling but I have a lockout on my Stratos XC-Pro and I never use it. I am pretty sure I wouldn't lock out my fork but ajusting the compression on the fly seems handy.

The FOX F80RLT weighs 3.32 LBS.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I am very attracted to the bling but I have a lockout on my Stratos XC-Pro and I never use it. I am pretty sure I wouldn't lock out my fork but ajusting the compression on the fly seems handy.

go w/ the race, it's light, pretty basic fork. i don't see you having any problems out of it. it's actually pretty damn nice for the $$$

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC

Personally, I would go that route. But, I will always choose performance over weight penalty, probably because I could loose a few lbs. I would think that the superior suspension action would outweigh the .5-.8 lb weight difference. Less fatiuge from getting your butt kicked all over the trail.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Personally, I would go that route. But, I will always choose performance over weight penalty, probably because I could loose a few lbs. I would think that the superior suspension action would outweigh the .5-.8 lb weight difference. Less fatiuge from getting your butt kicked all over the trail.
the fox is definiatly a nice fork but the lower end of the sids right now is pretty damn adjustable. not like my 02 sl that i had tons of problems out of :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by indieboy
the fox is definiatly a nice fork but the lower end of the sids right now is pretty damn adjustable. not like my 02 sl that i had tons of problems out of :(
What problems? I've had realgood luck with mine - except the lock out is more concept than reality.

I'm looking into the FOX but the weight... :dead:

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Weight correction.

Sid Race is 2.98lb, claimed-1180 g Real-1354.5 g +14,79% uncut, avrg (1335/1374).

Sid Team- 1417.5 g (3.12lb) uncut (w out remote lockout), avrg (1410/1425).

Sid World Cup - 1346.5 g (2.96lb) uncut, (w out remote lockout), avrg (1345/1348).

Add 70g for remote lockout, and all of em with out brake stud.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
What problems? I've had realgood luck with mine - except the lock out is more concept than reality.

I'm looking into the FOX but the weight... :dead:
don't get me wrong i love the sids, just not the 02 sl i had lol. i liked the lock out option and used it a lot. and for whatever reason whenever i hit something w/ the lockout on well the lockout didn't work anymore lol.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Mig, I have had the SID team for 8 months now. I love it. Little bit more flexy than my old Bomber, but a pound lighter.

Oh my team does not have the remote lockout, just the top fork knob. It locks for the rare times I use it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
After briefly thinking FOX (too much $$$) and Manitou Black (not impressed but great price) I ended up ordering the RACE for $398.00.

BABAR: I have a commercial postal scale and I will scale it out when it arrives next week. My X-Fly was advertised as 3.5 LBS and it might be - without oil. :rolleyes:

Regardless - the SID does seem to be the best weight wise, everything else I looked into was well over 4 LBS.

I also treated myself to a new set of 959s.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Squeak
Mig, I have had the SID team for 8 months now. I love it. Little bit more flexy than my old Bomber, but a pound lighter.

Oh my team does not have the remote lockout, just the top fork knob. It locks for the rare times I use it.
My 01 X-Fly 100 is not as stiff as my 02 SID SL. Many more hours on the X-Fly but no extreme riding.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
There is no way I'd be using 7" avids on a SID. A lot of people I ride with have 6" discs on their SIDs and I don't even like the feel of those. The Duke I currently (and unfortunately) have on my Loco Moto with 165mm avids flexs like mad under hard braking and it will soon be replaced with either a Marathon or a Float.