Quantcast

Rockshox Fork Servicing

Fraz

Chimp
Jul 3, 2011
So my Motion Control damper in my 2009 Pike 454's has stopped working. So with the help of the Rockshox Technical Manual I thought i would give fork servicing a go. Bought the tools I needed to do the job and have disassembled my forks. Pretty simple really.

Pretty sure I'm up for a new Motion Control damper then. Lockout doesn't work and there is no travel whatsoever. After pulling the damper out it look likes the lockout still works but the floodgate knob just seems to wind itself out. Surprisingly there was no way near the required amount of oil in the damper leg. Probable reason for why it has died on me maybe?

Anyway, using the Rockshox Spare Parts Catalog I'm sure I need either one of Motion Control Dampers listed:

11.4308.858.000 Reba/Pike/Revelation Compression Damper External Gate Non-Remote
11.4308.857.000 Reba/Pike/Revelation Compression Damper External Gate Remote
Not too sure which one i need. Pretty sure the only difference being that they come with different blue top caps? One to attach a remote lever cable too like Poploc and the other should be same as the one that came with the fork, with a handle to lockout the forks manually. So the Non-remote (11.4308.858.000)?

Also, to my surprise the last person to service my forks did not install any foam rings! Are these absolutely necessary to use or is there a reason why he did not install them?

Also, what grease should i be applying when reinstalling my spring? The only grease I have in my workshop is Castrol Boating Grease. Will this do the job?

Also, I oddly found two, what I'm sure are bottom out bumpers, in the bottom of the damper side of the lowers. But looking at the Exploded view in the Spare Parts Catalog it shows one in either side. Doesn't seem like a big deal but any reason why there was an extra one in there?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
- For the lockout, did you correct oil level in damper and retry?
- If oil is leaking out of the damper, the seal head o-ring at the base is likely leaking
- One bottom out bumper per lower leg is the norm, ditch the extra
- Foam rings are standard but not mandatory, I wouldn't worry
- For grease, use slick honey (or slickoleum) and only a small amount

The grease needs to be oil soluble, and marine greases contain lithium which can be harmful to seals. Too much and it will absorb all the lower-lubrication oil.

I don't understand what the floodgate is doing but most gate problems can be fixed yourself, sometimes with a little creativity.

Might as well try everything you can before buying a new damper.

Fraz

Chimp
Jul 3, 2011
The fork hasn't been leaking anywhere so i havn't lost any fluid out of the fork. But when removing the lowers i was surprised at the amount of oil that came out of the right leg, much more that the 15ml thats suppose to be in there. Which probably proves that the damper fluid is leaking into the lowers.

So sounds likely that the O-rings are gone. Would it be the 2 O-rings on the inside and outside of the Rebound dampers seal head?

As for the floodgate knob, the problems started when after a ride the floodgate knob had popped up and fluid had sprayed on the underside of my bars. So when you adjust it now, it still turns but seems to wind itself out and up when adjusting it counterclockwise. I will most certainly correct the oil level and retry.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah as I said, seal head o-ring at the base. It will most likely just be the inside one, as it is the only one that wears (sliding). I'd definitely replace it if there was a lot of oil in the lower on that side, you can get all the o-rings in the fork matched at a seal shop if you want to be safe, and it only costs a few bucks.

Not sure about the floodgate but I'd be pulling things apart and inspecting it. The topcap of the damper is reverse-threaded onto the red plastic tube if you want to pull it apart. It has been a while since I pulled a pike apart so hopefully not confusing it with the boxxer, but it should be the same.

It shouldn't be popping up with fluid spraying out like you describe, maybe something is broken or loose.

Fraz

Chimp
Jul 3, 2011
Is there a technique to getting the top cap off on the damper? Can't seem to make it budge :redface:

BTW Cheers for all your help so far Udi. :thumb:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah it's reverse threaded... so you can grab the red plastic tube gently in a vice (soft jawed if you like), and then screw the topcap in (clockwise) to undo it.

RideDirty

Chimp
Mar 7, 2011
Seattle
You said there was way more than the 15ml in the damper side lowers and so the uppers are leaking into it but you realize there is only supposed to by 5ml in the uppers? Not enough to make a noticable difference. I have 351's so maybe im wrong but my damper side was also loaded with way too much oil. I think people just don't trust the 15 ml recommended amount and overdo it on the service.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You said there was way more than the 15ml in the damper side lowers and so the uppers are leaking into it but you realize there is only supposed to by 5ml in the uppers? Not enough to make a noticable difference. I have 351's so maybe im wrong but my damper side was also loaded with way too much oil. I think people just don't trust the 15 ml recommended amount and overdo it on the service.

Damper side upper IS the damper. It should have WAY more than 15ml in there! The 5ml is in the upper of the SPRING side.

Don Breda

Chimp
Sep 27, 2013
Hi Fraz, Sorry to ressurect an old thread on you, but were you able to service that Motion Control Damper unit? I have one on my ('04 or '05?) Pike that is letting oil come up through the top cap. I'm wondering if I can take the damper apart and replace a seal or something to fix it, instead of buying a new damper unit.

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Don

trailbildr

Chimp
Aug 14, 2012
Take it to a shop and have them call SRAM dealer service. You'll likely get a new damper for it.

If the damper is leaking out the top, they'll likely send you a new one. They just sent me one on Monday for a leaking damper in a 2011 Reba. Everything worked great until you turned it upside down and it slowly dripped.

mk