Quantcast

Rockshox Sektor Play

Aug 10, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Hi guys,

I have an 2011 Sektor RL Solo air. There is a small bit of looseness in the first 1-3mm of travel. So like the spring or dampening hasnt engaged at that point. It makes a bit of a rattle when you lift the wheel off the ground.

I have done the standard lower leg service and aside from this the forks feel great.

Does anyone have an idea what it might be before I spend €100 on a service? I was thinking maybe theres not enough oil in the damper.

Thanks

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
i've only had one solo air fork, a 2009 tora 302 and it did the same - i think that's normal, it's the valve between positive and negative chamber opening and equalizing pressure.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
which year solo air boxxer? the latest updated solo air assy (2011-) has schraeder style valve inside so it shouldn't make any noise and have less play. i opened my tora and there was a plastic piston that was allowed to play on top, i never really took a good look at it but i'm pretty sure it was the source of the mild "clap" on the topout and has same amount of play as the whole fork. the fork is still on my friend's bike working the same as day one.

rs forks are really simple to work on, take a look inside yourself. you only need some 15w oil or 5w FULLY SYNTHETIC (non or semi synthetic swell the seals and o-rings) motor oil for lubrication to put it back together, it's a 15min job.

Aug 10, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Yeh, she has the 2011 Boxxer.

Turns out you were spot on!

Apparently this used to be on the Sram website.

Thanks for the help.

Q.SOLO AIR - If I pull up on the handlebar, I feel a slight movement in the fork. Why is
this?
A.When the fork is static at top out without any load applied, the main piston is in its open position
allowing for air flow between the Positive and Negative Air chambers and the chambers will
equalize. Upon the initial compression stroke (when a load is applied to the fork) the main piston
will move downward on its perch (to its closed position) separating the two air chambers. The
movement of the main piston from its open and topped-out position to its closed and sealed
position is very minute. Typically the movement upward of the piston on the perch is not detectable
by the rider, but in some cases can be felt as a slight movement (and a possible light knock) that
could amplify itself at the handlebar.

Does this slight movement affect the performance of my fork?
By design, a Solo Air fork that is set up correctly will not exhibit any performance loss due to the
movement of the main piston. Measurements taken in the lab of the Solo Air spring moving into its
compression from a static position indicate that the full spring rate is present from the outset of the
stroke and is not affected by the initial movement of the main piston. Proper set up allows for the
fork to sag into its travel when the rider is on the bike – in this position, the main piston is closed
and will not move again until the fork is unweighted or extended to its topped out position. With
proper sag, a rider will not perceive any main piston movement for the majority of the fork’s use.