Quantcast

Roco air 3pl

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Sorry for asking a different question... Does it have shims for damping? I have a thing for switching shims. It´s like collecting stamps.

Or is it dampening? I can never learn.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Sorry for asking a different question... Does it have shims for damping? I have a thing for switching shims. It´s like collecting stamps.

Or is it dampening? I can never learn.
I hear people use both terms, as far as if its a shim stack...... I have no idea, I was looking to get some info on this to make a desicion.

At this point and time I am leaning towards the Avy, but this looks like it might be a decent option for me.

From Avy It would be either this,
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/chubie.html

Or this

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/dhs225.html

AfroJack

Chimp
Nov 4, 2003
San Luis Obispo
I have had about a week on the roco 3pl. When the shock is working it feels great. Although mine hasnt been working much. It came from the factory blown. The shock would decide when it wanted to lock out which is really annoying on a ride. Also the compression adjustment on the shock directly affects my lock out switch, depending on where the compression is set the lock out position changes. Also, I have about a 180 degree zone of compression adjustments that just result in the shock permanently staying locked out. I am going to send the shock back to marzocchi again to see if they can truly fix it. Other then these issues the shock is the most plush air shock I have felt in a long time.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Called up Marzocchi today, talked to them for a bit, and with there suggestions, I am goping for it. I ordered up the Roco 3pl to go on my Dirtbag. With as much trail riding as I do, with the DH, and the limitations of Said frame, I will be getting New Roco 3pl in a couple days. I will post up reveiws after I have some time on it!!!!!

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Is the 05 dirtbag the same as the 06 that is on there website in the archive? If so then you can use a fox dhx5 witch is a great shock.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
DHX5 wont fit on this frame, the res contacts the downtube when in full travel. I test fitted one already

Turn it over? Remove the boost valve knob?

Here is an exploded view of the 3pl.....in keeping with Marz theory of providing as little info to the consumer as possible, it is missing any descriptions or part numbers that would make this pic useful in any way. Does not look to have a true shim-stack (maybe part 47 but I dont think so)

http://www.windwave.co.uk/documents/techinfo/rear shocks/MY2008_ROCO_3PL_200x57.pdf

Unfortunately in the last 2 years, I have heard of SOOO many QC issues with Marz that I wont even consider thier products any more (not to mention that they are light years behind EVERY other sus co with required tech/maintainance info).
All the ATA/PAR issues for the last 2 years, the 55 is a total lemon it seems,new QR axle that self loosens, Rocos delivered with large air pockets in the damper fluid (not to mention selling the shock for a year and a half without making mounting hardware), TST airs that eat the seals and shaft annodizing because they were delivered with no lube in the air can, spring 'check valves' for damping in many items (now way to 'revalve' or re-shim = no tuning)

They used to be a company that made simple to use, simple to work on, open damper forks that felt great and lasted for ever. There was no info given to the public at that time (but it was available to shops (the old cd-roms) but everything was so simple and robust that it was not an issue...

Now they are trying to add every bell and whistle that they can think up an acronym for and through them on all their products. Most are not wanted, most are not useful if they worked, and it seems more and more that the gizmos were implemented without any testing in any way shape or form....because for the most part, all the new 'features' all fail....

I would love to see Marz to get away from the MTB 'more is better..'features, features, features' mentality and get back to making uncomplicated, robust, workhorse parts...

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If you look at teh new dirtbags, they fit the DHX by turning it over with the res towards the seattube, and they moved the mount forward a touch so it could clear. I tried about every configuratiion possible, not that I like a DHX to begin with, but I wanted to know what I could or couldnt put on the bike without having to Modify.

Good news is I get EP, so its not a Huge gamble. If it doesnt work out, I will be going with the Avy chubby. I will give this one a good workout before I do that though.

Thank you for your input on this one Dave, I will post up a reveiw after I beat on it for a while. And I do hope that I dont have any issues. Thanks for letting me know about the oil in the air chamber, I will probably add a few dropps Anyways!!!

Last edited: