Quantcast

ROCO RC problem!! need help

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Kanter,

I would guess that the clunk that's coming from you're shock is most likely coming from the replenish circuit, or from the IFP topping out. Bleeding the shock wouldn't solve either of these unfortunately. Just wanted to save you the time and possible frustration of chasing a ghost. If it is in fact the above items, a complete rebuild would be necessary and the replenish circuit reconfigured.

Darren

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Id hope it doesnt need a rebuild. Its brand new.

OK, I got it all back together...... NO MORE CLUNK!!!!!

Its like night and day difference. The rebound adjuster works much better now.

How do you adjust the IFP?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I cant see the powerpoint. Its asking for a 25 digit number. I dont know mine.
check you office install disk....it should be on a sticker on the disk cover. I am in the process of saving the ppt in .PDF format...if you want, pm me your e-mail and I will send it to you.

Windwave has lots of good (in marz terms) info for marz stuff. Much more user friendly than the USA site.

The ifp is the piston seperating oil from air in the resevoir of the shock. You would need to remove the res cap and to access it. It should be 35 - 40 mm from the edge of the res threads (end). 35mm will give a bit more 'ramp up' 40mm will be a bit more linear.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Where is the IPF set stock?

I went for a 14 mile ride yesterday and the Roco felt waaay better. The small bumps were smooth. No clunking.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Its all in the slides, 35-40mm deep.

So I setup the lappy this arve and all the tools, this is the first shock I've really worked on. Seems simple enough. I had a pretty serious problem when it came to slide 12 though. Upon trying to undo the top cap of the main body, the whole body unscrewed. I quickly worked a solution- it was too easy, a 31.8mm stem fits perfect on the body and I used this to hold the body while I undid the top cap. Don't need to do the stem up very tight. Worked awesome. DO you guys think it would be wise to undo the body the whole way and apply some extra locktite in here to prevent this again? Is there a reason this has come slightly loose? The result of coil bind?

I did notice the IPF was set quite deap, around 42mm. This was giving me a very linear feel and as a result a few decent bottom outs despite the correct sag and air pressures.

One last q, is it worth putting some slick honey on the end cap bushing and seal during reassembly, or will this just mix with the oil and create more issues?

Has anyone tried to get a seal for these, is it a pretty standard thing? It was pretty cool to see that the shaft bushing is the same as the eyelet bushing, makes sense, are other shocks like this?

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Yeah I was pretty stoked it was such and easy solution. No making blocks or using a belt wrench.

Laaz

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
I read this tread through, and i am confused. What is the weight of the stock oil? On the power point manual it says 5 wt, but in some posts people say 2,5 wt.

I am asking because on my Roco R the rebound is to slow for my liking. And now i am thinking of changing the oil to a lighter one.

Thanx.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I read this tread through, and i am confused. What is the weight of the stock oil? On the power point manual it says 5 wt, but in some posts people say 2,5 wt.

I am asking because on my Roco R the rebound is to slow for my liking. And now i am thinking of changing the oil to a lighter one.

Thanx.
What bike are you on and what spring weight?

Someone from Marzocchi will have to chime in on what the actual "factory" weight is.

Laaz

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
It is on a Commencal Supreme DH. The spring weight is 350.

Local distributor for Marzocchi said that the factory oil is 7,5 wt.

Will try 5 wt.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Straight from Marzocchi tech support: 2.5wt Pro-Circuit oil comes stock in all Roco WC and Roco TST's. :thumb:

Shouldn't you always reset the IPF when changing the oil, or is this not necessary?
You mean the IFP - Internal Floating Piston?

Theoretically you should, but this is pretty difficult to do accurately without tearing the shock apart. It basically resets when you fill the shock with oil, and close it up with the shock fully compressed. When you add air, and the shock expands, it's pretty darn close to where it shouldbe.

If you find you need it more progressive (depending on specific frame designs) you can use shims so the shock is not completely compressed when you start to add air .. say, using a 2mm shim on the shaft between the bumper and the shock body to reduce the amount of air volume. CAUTION: a little air volume goes a long way. A tiny amount of volume will dramatically change the way the shock acts, much more than added pressure. If you reduce volume too much, you won't get full travel. As well as potentially damaging your shock.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
And FWIW - I believe all Marzocchi forks come with 7.5wt.. which may be why your local distributor said 7.5.
(after tech said 2.5, i specifically asked "Your sure it's not 7.5?".. he said "No, 2.5 Pro-Circuit oil")

Also FWIW - I run a 350# spring, and use 2.5wt Redline Synthetic with about 1/5 Redline Synthetic 'Like Water' suspension oil. Rebound is fine.

Mr Big

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
The Betty Ford Clinic
I got an oil problem on my Rocco TST. The dam thing is leaking all over the place. The TST adjustor seems to work at different settings but if i touch it leaks. Has anyone had similar issues with their TST

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I got an oil problem on my Rocco TST. The dam thing is leaking all over the place. The TST adjustor seems to work at different settings but if i touch it leaks. Has anyone had similar issues with their TST
Have you ever disassembled your shock? Ever taken that knob off???

That shouldn't be happening. My guess is your missing or have a severely damaged seal.

Call Zocchi tech support. Their # is on the website and on the back of your manual.

Mr Big

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
The Betty Ford Clinic
Have you ever disassembled your shock? Ever taken that knob off???

That shouldn't be happening. My guess is your missing or have a severely damaged seal.

Call Zocchi tech support. Their # is on the website and on the back of your manual.
nope i have never disassembled it and it has no visable damage and its almost brand new. i have done a couple of runs at mammoth, some urban riding in the bay area, and in phoenix at south mountain. i just hope it hold up for the el paso race this weekend until i can sent it back.