Quantcast

Rolhoff Hub

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
So I was at Plattekill this past holiday weekend...enjoying the beautiful weather and sweet new trails. The lift guy at the top was getting really worn down from slinging bikes all day and decided to pull my Nucleon ST a little funny and rip all the wires from the Rolhoff hub.

As you can imagine, this pretty much sucked. I was able to pull the little round fitting off the hub and rewrap the wire to give me back 7 speeds or so.

Does anyone have any info on where I could get a replacement shifter and cable set? I'd be interested in the Speed Bone set up too if available.

The next issue is that I want to race Plattekill this coming weekend so ordering the kit directly through Rolhoff could take a few weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Main Office:
Rohloff USA, Inc.
1327 Richmond Street
El Cerrito, CA 94530
Telephone: 1-(510) 232-4833
Fax: 1-(510) 527-6650
Email: usa@rohloff.de
Web: www.rohloffusa.com

Talk to Thomas

Warehouse:
Rohloff USA, Inc.
1200 5th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710-8316

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I would of been completely pissed off at that!

You're looking for the gearbox, not the speedbone. From what I hear, getting the gearbox is one of the best upgrades for that bike.

What did the guy say? Or did you only find out after.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
I can't believe that happened. I don't know what I would do. If you don't get a hold of Thomas at Rohloff with that number try his cell 1-510-527-6163. Very nice guy. Make sure he mails the click box external shifter next day mail so that you have it for the race this weekend. He had to send me new hex bolts for my hub on the UFO because I lost 4 of them doing one run at Mt. Creek. Nothing I did, just a problem on the assembly line at Rohloff with some hubs.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
When set up nicely, the gearbox with regular cables and housing does work really well. I don't feel any friction really so I can only imagine how that Nokon cable setup would feel like.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
The Nokon's last quite a bit longer for me, and when they do need replacing it's just the cable and liner, not the actual housing.

They also have quite a bit less friction but how noticable that is depends on how long your cables are and the bends you have. On my old Big Hit with two full housing running all the way to the rear hub the shifter tended to feel gummy and the clicks as I shifted gears didn't feel very solid, the Nokon's cleared that right up.

On the Nucleon they helped as well although they didn't make as big of a difference (as expected) but do allow me to run the cables with much tighter routing without causing friction problems. Nokon cables are so flexible that when routed alongside or underneath the frame they can bounce around a bit so I took advantage of the flexibility and ran mine through the frame gussets and let them lay on top of the downtube. Puts them nicely out of the way.

Attachments

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Got to finally see a Rohloff in person this weekend, and holy crap, what a tank. I wasn't sure if i should build it or shotput it.

Interesting concept for sure, but i am still super skeptical over it...

springfish

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Hood River, Oregon
Originally posted by dropmachine.com
Got to finally see a Rohloff in person this weekend, and holy crap, what a tank. I wasn't sure if i should build it or shotput it.

Interesting concept for sure, but i am still super skeptical over it...
Were you at Plattekill by chance?

Also, guys...thanks again for all the help! I spoke with Thomas this morning and will have the replacement part I need tomorrow! Also, I ordered the external shifting kit which I'll have in 2 weeks. I couldn't of gotten this done without you guys. :)