Quantcast

Roof Racks

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
So the wife finally got rid of her Vue and got a Mini. Super excited about the car except for the minimal room for bikes. Sooo, what roof rack should we get. I don't really want to remove wheels, it needs to work with the car, and having it look nice would be a bonus. We do not have a factory rack on it, btw.

Thanks!

alant

Chimp
Oct 11, 2008
There's a thread on MTBR which shows mini's and the various racks that can be mounted on them. I believe the site manager (Francis) has a thread also. Nice car. I've seen a couple at the trails with roof racks. Good luck.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
watch for banks! ah totally forgot the first day I had mine... coincidentally the day after I built up my bike with BRAND NEW freshly paint nempro's and new juicys... Well a bent rack and scratches later, I learned my lesson :biggrin:

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
i got my dad a yakima king cobra...pretty nice and has option for lockable cord that keeps bike locked to rack..you can buy locks to lock the rack to the car too.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
The Yakima High Roller might look better on the Mini when it's folded down. Some of the racks look huge on top of normal sized cars and the Cooper is even smaller. Don't mean to be all about the look but the Mini is a cool car and you've just spent some coin on it.

Here's a pic of it: http://yakima.com/racks/bike-racks/product/8002091/highroller.aspx The High Roller looks like it functions great as well which of course is the main priority.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Plainfield, IL
Hey Jon!

I always had a Yakima setup on my old cars until I got my new rack for the current ride. The Thule setup that I put on my Volvo a few months ago has been excellent. Feels very secure and I think the fitment is great compared with the Yakima. I have three Bigmouth upright trays and they are very sturdy and lock well! Thule's newest upright racks are pretty nice, too. Probably a win/win with a Yak or Thule when it comes down to it.

Ray's soon, Maglio?

davemo7

Chimp
Dec 10, 2008
Davis
Thule or Yakima trays with the side arm thing, they hold everythig from bmx to 29er i love mine (or my roomates)

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ok, apparently Yak doesn't do anything for Minis, so I had to do the Thule. For stability I went with the peleton trays (fork mounts), but I'm wondering, does anyone use a BMX fork in that setup? Is it ok squishing the legs a little to clamp them down? Also, for the 20mm axle setup, what do you use? I think there is a Hurricane model, anyone have one they want to unload?

Thanks

davemo7

Chimp
Dec 10, 2008
Davis
Ok, apparently Yak doesn't do anything for Minis, so I had to do the Thule. For stability I went with the peleton trays (fork mounts), but I'm wondering, does anyone use a BMX fork in that setup? Is it ok squishing the legs a little to clamp them down? Also, for the 20mm axle setup, what do you use? I think there is a Hurricane model, anyone have one they want to unload?

Thanks
a bmx will work but you have to carry a wrench everywhere you go (unless you have a QR front wheel :panic: ) and there are definently 20mm adapters that will work, but you still need to take your wheel off first.

the 594 side arm trays are a little better if you carrying bmx and 20mm bikes, the side arm goes down enough to secure and bmx and big enough to put a 29er and everything between. good luck

-end Thule rack rant after being forced to go to Thule clinic at work last night-

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I am aware of the back mounting options, but with the s they are expensive and I like to get into the back. I don't mind popping off the front wheel if they will be a bit more stable, I understand that the gutters aren't the most durable and I would like to elongate the life of my roof if possible.

Anyone in the know if you an open the sunroof with the standard aero Thule rack (not the Mini from the factory model)?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ok, got the rack on tonight, fits awesome, sunroof clears, I'm super excited. Cars just look better with roof racks on them. I need to add a few stickers and a couple bikes, but right now I'm psyched. I'll post pics when I get my fork ups and such situated.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
Ok, got the rack on tonight, fits awesome, sunroof clears, I'm super excited. Cars just look better with roof racks on them. I need to add a few stickers and a couple bikes, but right now I'm psyched. I'll post pics when I get my fork ups and such situated.
till your gas millage goes from 30 to 22 like it did in my celica .. hitch race the way to go when you get a new car just put in a new hitch .. and done and my rack folds down when i have to get in the hatch . plus the arms double as a bike tool stand at the mountain

oh and watch for the cross winds with bikes up there

Last edited:

davemo7

Chimp
Dec 10, 2008
Davis
the problem with a hitch mounted rack (especially on something as small as a mini) is that it throws your suspension off and makes the car drive funny.

davemo7

Chimp
Dec 10, 2008
Davis
it will but when you put 3-4 dh rigs way off the back it does it unevenly rather than spread out over all 4 wheels.