Quantcast

Roof vs receiver hitch?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I'm looking to put something on a 13 camaro and actually saw someone in my area with a rack on a reciever hitch on a camaro (I couldn't catch the bastid to ask him).
I've researched online and both can be done.
Main reason I ask is I had a terrible experience with a hitch on a Mazda milenia years ago.
I never owned a roof rack but open to it. If I go hitch I'll get rid of my t2 and get something lighter (nothing worse than grinding and bottoming out your car,lol).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hitch all the way, especially since you already have the T2. Too bad about the Camaro, though.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Must be my lucky day, right after I posted I'm going to work and see the kid off in the distance with the camaro and bike rack. I thought my eyes were playing tricks, I caught him this time. He thought I was crazy but yelling over he says no problems with grinding. He has a t2 on his.
I planned on spending some money anyways so I think I'll make the jump to the 1 up and get an 1 1/4 recover hitch to keep things as light as possible.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I'm with Toshi. Hitch 100%.
What was your bad experience in the past?
The Mazda I had at the time sat fairly low, exhaust had to be dropped for hitch and it was a pretty heavy duty 2 " inch hitch (only one made for the car that isn't in production anymore). Once the hitch was on I had to get an adapter to clear the bumper and gain some lift (it was a bit more weight to).
The car grinder on the smaller of things even with the rack not on the car and with 2 dh bikes on the t2 it was a bad fit. I sold the car and have used trucks for the last 5 years with the t2 very happily.
I'll get some pics up here in a few weeks of my new set up once I have it.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have both a hatch mount and roof mounts. (both thule)
While I love the roof mounted T2's - they are up and out of the way which is nice, but GAS MILEAGE SUCKS...
like it cuts it by 35 % + or so.... On the other hand, having the bikes on the hatch mount has minimal effect on mileage.

My vote is for hitch...

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Awesome!! I was wondering about fuel mileage.
I have a sidearm still in the box I will return and get my hitch and 1 up ordered, woot woot

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wow!! That's what im talking bout!! Nice set up. is that a 1 1/4 " hitch? do you remember the maker of the one you have?
It says "cuquent performance" on it, but evidently they make a whole bunch of towbar brands. I forget which one it was originally. Supposedly this doesn't fit on the SS w/ the rear diffuser, but it just pushed up slightly on it, I cut out a small section and it works great, but I really didn't have to.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And I've never had any problems with grinding, since the towbar is pretty close to the wheels, the approach angle isn't that bad (for bad, think about a 911 where the rear end hands out WAY past the rear wheels). But you learn to drive a car like this at angles to any serious grade change/curb to minimize the possibility of hitting something. You don't keep pulling into a parking space until the front wheel touches the parking stop, otherwise the air-dam/spitter will come off in epic fashion and such is the same with parking lot curbs and other stuff. You get good at judging what you can do and avoiding what you may not be able to, until you get a little more recon done.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's when it's important, otherwise I would have bottomed out the front end already going forward. ;)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I want to make a Camaro joke, but it actually is pretty rad to carry an MTB on one.

I had a '70 Firebird Formula 400 and it really sucked putting my XC bike in the back seat.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Would love to know if the mounts that just hold the wheels flog the fork bushing out at all? The bikes always seem to move quite a bit driving to the trails and I can't imagine they'd see much splash lube getting to the bushings.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How'd those loads be substantially different than if the bike were secured by the dropouts? I guess one of those Yakima style ones that clamps the downtube would reduce loads, but they can't be on the same order of magnitude as the forces of actually riding the thing.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It was just a thought, but having something moving slightly with no way to replenish lube can wear stuff out. You can get brand new items arrive by ship that have dud bearings due to false brinelling, vibration/movement over extended periods can do bad things.

A friend that serviced a few race bikes said the riders bikes he serviced went through less BBs after they ditched the crank holder type trailer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Would love to know if the mounts that just hold the wheels flog the fork bushing out at all? The bikes always seem to move quite a bit driving to the trails and I can't imagine they'd see much splash lube getting to the bushings.
Seriously?