Quantcast

Rossin bikes?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
My stepdad just bought a new Felt and he's probably gonna give me his old bike. I think it's probably atleast a decade old, if nto more. It seems like a steel frame, not sure, it has full Champagnolo drivetrain, Mavic wheelset. I rode it around and like the way it rides, then again Im new from the whole dh/fr scene into roadie so Im sure anything would about work, lol. I'm just wondering if anybody has any sort of knowledge or reviews about these bikes, as Im just trying to gain more knowledge into the bike.Any info would be great. Thanks. :)

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
not knowing year/models or anything from what you have said. Campy and Mavic are two good bike parts manufactors, and normally don't make crap. Infact older Campy stuff have some people arguing that it is better than the stuff made now.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Just checked it out again, there is no model name that I can see on the frame, it says Rossin all over it, and then there is a sticker that says Racing Team on the top tube close to the headtube, Im nto sure if that was originally there and its a model name or if my stepdad put it there. Also, the Campy parts are Athenas, pretty much full drivetrain. And then the wheelset said Mavic SUP or something along those lines.... The frame/fork is full red, not sure what year either. I'll try to get a pic up later today.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Campy Athena was decent enough stuff, below Record and Chorus. As for Rossin's, they were also what I'd call mid-level, not really as known as some of the famous Italian builders, but not fake Italian crap like Basso's or similar. According to Sheldon Brown, Rossin made bikes for the domestic market, and to export overseas. Apparently, the export bikes were generally better quality, though some of the cheaper domestic bikes made it to the US anyway. Sounds like the bike is probably from 91-94, as I believe these are the years that the Athena group was made, though they might have been made for even a few years after that. Either way, it's a decent bike, enjoy it.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
scofflaw23 said:
Campy Athena was decent enough stuff, below Record and Chorus. As for Rossin's, they were also what I'd call mid-level, not really as known as some of the famous Italian builders, but not fake Italian crap like Basso's or similar. According to Sheldon Brown, Rossin made bikes for the domestic market, and to export overseas. Apparently, the export bikes were generally better quality, though some of the cheaper domestic bikes made it to the US anyway. Sounds like the bike is probably from 91-94, as I believe these are the years that the Athena group was made, though they might have been made for even a few years after that. Either way, it's a decent bike, enjoy it.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow so that you guys can tell me if its a pretty good model or not. My stepdad isnt cheap at all but isnt a top-o-line type of person. Im guessing that its older then the early 90s but Im not really sure.....