Quantcast

Rotors

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I have two questions about rotors. For XC riding is there a big difference in the performance of the 160 versus 180 mm rotors? Again, for XC use, are the aluminum rotors worth the extra money?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
For the ultimate light set up remove your brakes. You don't need brakes to control your speed on a climb.:clue:

Seriously, 160mm is more than enough for XC use.
As for Al rotors, if they get bent you will have a tough time truing them and they will be much weaker. Also if you're looking to shed grams the hub area has very little rotational inertia. Look at your rims/tires and tubes for weight savings.

I also heard Lance Armstrong had surgery to remove all unnesessary body parts to save weight. Only one kidney, spleen has been shaved down, all of his toes are removed, only one testicle and all of his ligaments have been cut in half lengthwise.

You could just undergo chemotherepy to get the body mass down. Hey, it worked for Lance.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i think the only time that big rotors help is on epic descents (XC/Trail). There are tons of XC trails here where after climbing up the mountain you have to stop periodically on the downhill to cool the rotors or you get serious "fade". Bigger rotors have more area to cool so they resist that a tad better, that's all.

Summer i'm constantly on rides where you ride down thousands of feet, cross a creek and hear the steam rise off of the rotors. And i still run 6'ers on my XC bike.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Skookum said:
i think the only time that big rotors help is on epic descents (XC/Trail). There are tons of XC trails here where after climbing up the mountain you have to stop periodically on the downhill to cool the rotors or you get serious "fade". Bigger rotors have more area to cool so they resist that a tad better, that's all.

Summer i'm constantly on rides where you ride down thousands of feet, cross a creek and hear the steam rise off of the rotors. And i still run 6'ers on my XC bike.
That's not an issue in the southeast where boomer rides.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Peete said:
That's not an issue in the southeast where boomer rides.
Yah i know.... i should have just kept the statement down to a statement and leave it at that then.

You don't need big rotors for an XC bike....:)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
SkaredShtles said:
Mmmmmm.......... I love those kind of descents on a XC ride. :drool:
i know, i've been jonesin for some grueling climbs and long epic descents, but we had one hell of a snowy winter. No highlander action for me in early spring, it's gonna be awhile before the snow melts off the high trails this year.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I looked at the Al disc info at Stan's. Hundred beans a disc, whoa! You have to use minimally abrasive pads too. Hmm, is that an oxymoron there? Not recommended for riders over 150lbs. That counts me out. You could probably save the same amount of weight if you used Ti hardware. Like Peeete says, the inertia is so close to the hubs it wont really matter anyway. I'll just carry one less cliff bar.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Skookum said:
i know, i've been jonesin for some grueling climbs and long epic descents, but we had one hell of a snowy winter. No highlander action for me in early spring, it's gonna be awhile before the snow melts off the high trails this year.
Yah. Same 'round here. Probably late June into July before the *really* high stuff gets clear. And even then it might be sketchy with snowfields. :D