imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Some preliminary tech data:
1. Frame leverage ratio 2.3
2. Lev. ratio escalation 2.75 - 1.95
3. Shock is 2013 RS Monarch RT3 216x63 High volume L/L3 tune

So, as seen by the specs the frame is progressive with a low (ish) leverage ratio. The shock is chosen accordingly and you'd expect to achieve adequate travel with this setup. That's not the case though, I've set it up at around 30% sag and still can't get past ~ 45-50mm. stroke. I don't do drops, but the occasional high speed square bump hit/drop should get me at least near bottom-out, I'm nearly 90kg. with gear. I've had a few occasions when you'd expect to bottom-out and the fork (RS Revelation) pretty much did, which can't be said for the rear end.
I've serviced the shock according to SRAM's service manual and the IFP depth and pressure were and after the service are spot on.
In short, I feel the end stroke ramps up too much and feels harsh. Has anyone experienced such behavior, any ideas where to look?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. On a side note, the rebound feels a bit fast, which could be due to the L tune. At the same time the compression tune L3 is, as far as I understand, exactly for low leverage progressive curves....I wonder if there's something wrong with the damper beyond adequate pressures, depths, etc.

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
I tried to lower the IFP pressure from 350 to 250 PSI, but can't say there's a noticeable difference. I was expecting this to soften up the end stroke....don't know where else to look, the compression valving is very light and should suit fine the frame's leverage....

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Yes, it is the High Volume version with additional external sleeve. Initially I suspected the presence of red rubber volume reducers as well, but there's none of them...

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
Fairly exotic one, here's a link to the frame's Linkage analysis, courtesy of Antonio Osuna. It is progressive throughout the whole travel, so that probably is the root of the "problem". Looking at your review of the Monarch Plus (forgive my "familiarity", but I follow the forum a lot) I see you had issues with bottoming out the HV can version, but again peeking at Antonio's blog reveals the 5.spot is fairly linear at the last 25-30% of its travel, while in my case at the same portion of travel there's still progression...I might just need more air volume.

Last edited: