Quantcast

RST space jump fork

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yes I'm serious. :biggrin:

A riding buddy of mine I see occasionally just got one of these things. It looks remarkably like a fox 36. He even went so far as to say it's the same fork and that rst MAKES fox forks.....which I don't necessarily buy.

BUT.....it's a 36mm stanchion, 80mm travel fork that looks pretty tough. Thinking about this as a replacement for an old manitou firefly I lowered and since it's just a dj bike, I'm not really that concerned with smooveness. Plus it's an air fork so I can make it ride virtually rigid which is tough to do with what I'm riding now.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
i didnt realised it was 36mm stanchion until i saw it on the web. wow. its must be a great alternative.

but the axle to crown is too high. 480 for 80mm travel? its like as high as a marz fork at 100mm

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I raced an RST Hi Five fork for a year straight.
Then I read a recall that said, "Fork may fail at high speeds."
Ha, that's like Delta saying "Airplane may fall out of sky.":biggrin:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
There's been a fair amount of chat about this fork. some of the pros have been running it for at least a year iirc. s'posed to be light and stiff - perfect for dj...def looks interesting. I'd like to see one in person...

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Have you considered running a much stiffer spring in your Manitou? You can run a modified tool and die spring in your Manitou and make it a nearly maintenance free stiff jumping machine.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Have you considered running a much stiffer spring in your Manitou? You can run a modified tool and die spring in your Manitou and make it a nearly maintenance free stiff jumping machine.
Mine is a 5 (or 6?) inch firefly that I lowered with some spacers. I have the stiffest spring they made for that fork with a few coils cut off so that I could get the thing in the fork once it was lowered. It barely moves. But even this weekend I was bottoming it when I'd overshoot something or even in hard g-outs. The wierd thing is that I've taken the spacers back out, extended the fork and it feels great. It's almost like the damping circuits only work at the top end of the fork and I've got it lowered past the zone of its functionality.

So even with a stiff spring, it rides like crap. I'm either getting a gold label jumper or one of these rst forks today or tomorrow. But I'm curious about where you get the right diameter tool and die springs. I'm sure they're cheaper than a new fork.

thanks

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
So even with a stiff spring, it rides like crap. I'm either getting a gold label jumper or one of these rst forks today or tomorrow. But I'm curious about where you get the right diameter tool and die springs. I'm sure they're cheaper than a new fork.

thanks
cant go wrong with this spring for street or dirt jumping. i have this one in my gold label. dont know if it will be good for freeride/lite DH applications though. links are at top of pg

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154325&page=2

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
cant go wrong with this spring for street or dirt jumping. i have this one in my gold label. dont know if it will be good for freeride/lite DH applications though. links are at top of pg

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154325&page=2
Whoa those things look burly. Maybe I'll just order the spring and see if it works........if not, try it in a new gold label as well.

I'm not worried about plush, I want this fork virtually rigid and to only really move on hard overshoots and cases.

Thanks man. :cheers:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
cool man good luck.
oh and this is the size you need- 1in. OD x 12in springs
Yeah I saw that. I think I'm going to measure what I've got in there now and see if that's the best fit or if there's something closer. The gap is pretty big on diameters....either 3/4" or 1" but maybe the 3/4 wouldn't require grinding to get it in the top cap. The bottom of my spring leg is a broken travel adjust table/stage thing so the smaller spring would still seat I think.

Do you know the difference between the 443 and the 444 series springs? Seems like don implies the 444s are stiffer.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Do you know the difference between the 443 and the 444 series springs? Seems like don implies the 444s are stiffer.
the green 344 is stiffer if you can believe that. also the big price difference if you want to buy just one of the 344's. 344 ea are $20 but require a $25 min to order which means you need to buy 2 :bonk: i know its weird. if you have a buddy that needs one then its worth it. otherwise no. the gold 343 spring is plenty stiff. plus no minimum to purchase.

alltimepimp

Chimp
Nov 7, 2006
Yes I'm serious. :biggrin:

A riding buddy of mine I see occasionally just got one of these things. It looks remarkably like a fox 36. He even went so far as to say it's the same fork and that rst MAKES fox forks.....which I don't necessarily buy.

BUT.....it's a 36mm stanchion, 80mm travel fork that looks pretty tough. Thinking about this as a replacement for an old manitou firefly I lowered and since it's just a dj bike, I'm not really that concerned with smooveness. Plus it's an air fork so I can make it ride virtually rigid which is tough to do with what I'm riding now.
Well buy it!
Your buddy is 100% correct, the RST fork and the Fox are produced in the same place in Tiawan, if you are going to get the RST you can order a reducer for it also (because of the height of the axle dropout) also you are able to lock it out with air to almost zero travel.I know a few guys riding these right now (Andy Saundbaum,Carter Holland and Peanut) and those guys have no problem with them , the graphics are kind of strange but it is a fork well worth purchasing and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than any Fox fork..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well buy it!
Your buddy is 100% correct, the RST fork and the Fox are produced in the same place in Tiawan, if you are going to get the RST you can order a reducer for it also (because of the height of the axle dropout) also you are able to lock it out with air to almost zero travel.I know a few guys riding these right now (Andy Saundbaum,Carter Holland and Peanut) and those guys have no problem with them , the graphics are kind of strange but it is a fork well worth purchasing and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than any Fox fork..
How do you know peanut?

You know blades too? His and michael's bikes are the ones I'm talking about.

The ac height on them sucks so what does the reducer do to the travel?

alltimepimp

Chimp
Nov 7, 2006
How do you know peanut?

You know blades too? His and michael's bikes are the ones I'm talking about.

The ac height on them sucks so what does the reducer do to the travel?
Peanut is going to be my newest team member for Red Bull Intl'
Blades I am not too in touch with but I have met him. And Hacksaw is one of the smartest guys I know of in the industry. I have a RST fork also and I got a kit to reduce it (the crown) is lowered and it shortens the travel up to 10mm.The way the axle sticks out is just how it is. Once the crown is lower your ride height will be adjusted. I know this also they won't be coming out until early 07 if you can get Hacksaw to get ahold of Aaron Lutze that guy can get you more info since he is the US team /office manger.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Blades I am not too in touch with but I have met him. And Hacksaw is one of the smartest guys I know of in the industry. I have a RST fork also and I got a kit to reduce it (the crown) is lowered and it shortens the travel up to 10mm.The way the axle sticks out is just how it is. Once the crown is lower your ride height will be adjusted. I know this also they won't be coming out until early 07 if you can get Hacksaw to get ahold of Aaron Lutze that guy can get you more info since he is the US team /office manger.
You're not pimpbiker are you? If so we've met. I ride with jim a lot during the winter........well.......throw dirt is more like it but we ride some too.:biggrin:

So you lower the crown as in the crown on the stanchions? That doesn't make much sense but how much total do you get the fork lowered? If it's only 10mm that still puts it at 470 which is still pretty high.

Pm me a phone number if you don't mind. I really want to know what's up with these things. I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point anyway.

thanks

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
480mm ac height for 80mm travel? wow i think i need to reduce it to 50mm travel. ha! i think it would be sucks if i do that.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
ahh i see.. im interested too. if mr pimp is free, can you kindly write a guide for us to lower down the fork? = )

phu-q

Chimp
Nov 13, 2006
s.fla, usa
any openings for me? i can do "poppa" wheelies and skidouts. if i can't be on the team, can i at least have a painted redbull helmet?

alltimepimp

Chimp
Nov 7, 2006
any openings for me? i can do "poppa" wheelies and skidouts. if i can't be on the team, can i at least have a painted redbull helmet?
Sure its all yours we hand them out at random you know. Anyway Mr.Kid Woo I am not the Pimpbiker person I travel alot and scout new talent for RB and a few others ,I met Nate this last weekend and he reduced one of the forks in question right in front of me so I would say that Nate is the person to talk to I believe he has lowered his down to 55 mm and it brings his ride height down , you could also go with a front load stem and not stack spacers under the stem to lower actual ride height. A lower handle bar height is possible . What frame do you use that could be a factor also .Anyway good luck and I think you are right about the distro for the fork , they should be available shortly.

hacksaw

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
775 ,Northern Nevada
Woo
Saw here Blades is the man with these forks he knows how to reduce them with some crazy spacer along with what other springs to use and oil that is needed in the rebound resivior I am putting a brand new one on tonight since I killed my Manitou last weekend at woodward.Also do you need those cranks still ???Let me know I will pm you Nate's phone# And lastly why would you not believe me ? i got that info straighht from the peep's that are in the circle.
Alos one last thing these babies are strong Peanut has been riding the living hell out of these and has not had one problem with them .
"SAW"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Woo
Saw here Blades is the man with these forks he knows how to reduce them with some crazy spacer along with what other springs to use and oil that is needed in the rebound resivior I am putting a brand new one on tonight since I killed my Manitou last weekend at woodward.Also do you need those cranks still ???Let me know I will pm you Nate's phone# And lastly why would you not believe me ? i got that info straighht from the peep's that are in the circle.
Alos one last thing these babies are strong Peanut has been riding the living hell out of these and has not had one problem with them .
"SAW"
No I was saying I doubted what nate told me about rst making all of fox's stuff. From what I could find it looks like they're the same place in taiwan though. I never doubt teh "SAW":biggrin:

My bike was annoying me.
I got tired of waiting and bought some profiles for the cranks. Mine got so bad they're pretty much dangerous at this point. I also got impatient and just got a gold label fork too. I still might get an rst anyway. I separated my shoulder sunday so it's not like it matters of course.

turn your damn phone on

mee

Chimp
Dec 8, 2006
I raced an RST Hi Five fork for a year straight.
Then I read a recall that said, "Fork may fail at high speeds."
Ha, that's like Delta saying "Airplane may fall out of sky.":biggrin:
do you still have it and if you do do you want to sell it