Quantcast

Running road cassetes for XC

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've seen this done quite a lot, and I was just wondering a few things. One, why do it? Just for the higher gear ratios? Two, whats a good ratio, my current XT cassette is an 11-34, and whats a good cassette, if it has the benefits I think it does, I might get one.

Shredder

Chimp
Sep 28, 2003
Bellingham, WA
If you race, you have the benefit of less rotational mass going with a road cassette. For instance, a dura ace 9-spd cassette ways around half that of a regular lx/xt 11-34 cassette. If you don't race, there is no point in going with a road cassette.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
The largest shimano road cassette is either Dura Ace or Ultegra 12-27 gearing. I think the main reason people run road cassette is weight reduction. I would only use a road cassette for a "rolling hill" short track course.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
I run one because its got closer intervals. If you're a spinner they're nice to have -- there's always a right gear. The other reason that no one's mentioned is you can run a short cage derailleur. Crisper shifting and, better yet, less to bash on the rocks.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by wooglin
I run one because its got closer intervals. If you're a spinner they're nice to have -- there's always a right gear. The other reason that no one's mentioned is you can run a short cage derailleur. Crisper shifting and, better yet, less to bash on the rocks.
ding ding ding!!! i ran one for a while and liked it alot for the local races here in the southeast. ran a 42/29 up front and an 11-27 in the rear and life was good.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Depends on the terrain you ride and how strong you are. When I lived back east, hills we raced on were short so you could get away with a 26 as the lowest and just grind a bit. The biggest advantage is the closer ratio. As pointed out, you have a better chance of finding the right gear. But I wouldn't want to ride here in North Vancouver with a 22X26 as my lowest gear. 30-32 is much better. There are many long climbs where you may be able to grind a bigger gear for a while, but that gets prettty old in 15 or 20 minutes and you'll be wishing for a lower gear.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hmmm, I live in Salt Lake where we have massive hills in our races, I think it might be better to stick with the mtb cassette.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
Hmmm, I live in Salt Lake where we have massive hills in our races, I think it might be better to stick with the mtb cassette.
just stick w/ a mtn bike cassette

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
I live in colorado with monstrous hills (ummm mountains) also. Im running 20/32/42 on the front and dura ace 12-27 on the back. Thing is you only lose one extreme gear in the either end, compared to 22/32/42 with 11-32.

I like because its lighter, closer ratio and slightly shorter chain line.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
So wait...are any of the road cassette cogs low enough for spinning up long hills?
Should be low enough with 20t granny. But that depends on the climber and what gears you can use. I use to mash up mtn on 42 on front and 32 on back (Stupid me). But now i spin at 20 on front and 27 on back.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Originally posted by Babar
I live in colorado with monstrous hills (ummm mountains) also. Im running 20/32/42 on the front and dura ace 12-27 on the back. Thing is you only lose one extreme gear in the either end, compared to 22/32/42 with 11-32.

I like because its lighter, closer ratio and slightly shorter chain line.
I think that is an excellent set up. I would do that in a flash if I could get a 20 tooth for my XTR cranks. Actually I tried to do just that with my xt 4 bolt set up but no one could find a 20 tooth granny. They were listed in parts catalogues but not in stock.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
It would be cool to be able to run a short cage der, but where are you people riding? I use my 22-34 a LOT. Plus, my XTR front der can only spread as far as 42-22.

I run "road" cassettes on my XC bike, but only for racing. And that depends on terrain. I live in Southeast VA and local races do not have much elevation. For racing from the Piedmonts to the lowlands, I use a 11-25t with a short cage XT derailier and 42-32 combo up front. NO "G" required. If I head to any mountainous races, i.e.,WVMBA series, Snowshoe, Roanoke, etc., I'll change up. But than again, it all depends on the race. A group of us may actually do the 24hr@Snowshoe as a single speed team.
Downhill racing??? The same rules apply. Steep, continual runs and I'll use a "road" cassette. Whereas, some place like Massennutten gets a bit more low gear.
Either way, just experiment. You'll either adapt or you won't.

Later.