Quantcast

Running steerers flush with crowns

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Rockshox say there should be at least 5mm of steerer above the upper crown when running a DM stem.

I won't go into anything, but will it totally root my forks to run the top cap in the upper crown and the steerer tube flush?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Rockshox say there should be at least 5mm of steerer above the upper crown when running a DM stem.

I won't go into anything, but will it totally root my forks to run the top cap in the upper crown and the steerer tube flush?
Problem is, you can't run it flush, you need it a couple of mm down to clear the recessed bit of the top cap. Since a top crown is already pretty shallow, this means you're clamping on not very much at all, and it'll possibly pinch the end of the tube. This isn't an issue with a stem as the clamping area is much bigger. There recommendation makes sense, run it a few mm longer and put a spacer on it.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
FWIW though I rounded the bolt on my top crown, and my steerer has been totally unclamped for a few months now. Creaks a bit more maybe, but I still seem to be alive :)

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
FWIW though I rounded the bolt on my top crown, and my steerer has been totally unclamped for a few months now. Creaks a bit more maybe, but I still seem to be alive :)
Fark...

Can't run it shorter. Wrecked my crown/steerer, got new one. new one is 2-3mm too short with King headset. If I can track down an FSA Orbit Xtreme I will have 3-4mm exposed above the top crown, enough to run a 5mm spacer and top cap.

If I can't find one of those however, I could run a slightly taller headset, and the steerer flush with the top crown. I know it needs to be 1mm shorter for the top cap to fit in.

This is as good as I can get it, will this kill me or no?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
King Headsets have a pretty tall stack height. Find something with a lower stack height. I would highly recommend having those few mm's of steerer above the crown.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Whats the best headset with a lower stack height?

LBS will sell me crank bros one for massive $$$, not really into that.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Is the opium worth an extra $100 over the CC?

it will mean I should get about 8mm of steerer above the top crown. The CC will sit flush.

Thoughts?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Get a FSA - cheap, light, durable and they just work. I'm running a couple of their high-end headsets on my bikes and they're set and forget.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I have an opium and love it - I think the cracking issues are just related to ham-fisted installation, so not affected me ;)

ph4se_1

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
ive been running my boxxers with the steerer perfectly flush with upper crown on my dhr(2006,1.5 ht) for about 3months with absolutely no problems.if i had the choice id prefer not to but its working fine.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Is this point made somewhere on the rockshox site?
it is in the user manual:
"If using a direct mount stem, make sure the steerer is exposed 5mm above the upper crown. Use a short upper crown for head tube and headset stack heights of less than 150 mm or a tall upper crown for stack heights up to 180mm."

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Are there any problems with incredibly small spacers? I think I'll end up with 1.5mm above the top crown... can I run a 3mm spacer or something?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I would personally say, as long as your upper crown has full contact on the steerer, and you run a small spacer under the top cap so you can preload it, you will be fine. I dont see anything detrimental to having the top of the steerer flush with the crown, but as others have pointed out, you still need the spacer to be able to preload properly

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Dual crown fork crowns are fairly cheap and replaceable though. I say cut them down to size.

Good choice on the Cane Creek headset. I think the Crank Brothers headset would be among the worst headset options.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Any Opinions on the Opium? It's got some insanely low stack... reports of cracking though.
I have one in a box and haven't used it yet (because I still don't have clearance to ride after my achilles rupture), but I don't have high hopes for it. Sort of a "cross my fingers and hope" that it doesn't chip or crack on install. If it makes it in, I'm sure it's fine, but I wouldn't have bothered if it weren't half price and I wasn't running a CK I wanted to get rid of. I'm waiting for Crank Bros to beef up the lip on the outer cup...

The CC and FSA are definitely better options, although I would trust any Aheadset licensed option from most companies unless they tried to do something funky or different. It's hard to screw up a headset, yet some companies still manage to.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Dual crown fork crowns are fairly cheap and replaceable though. I say cut them down to size.

Good choice on the Cane Creek headset. I think the Crank Brothers headset would be among the worst headset options.
Boxxer crowns in Australia are insanely expensive for what they are.