Quantcast

SaaS for cars

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
if this is the direction the automotive industry is taking, i foresee class action lawsuits.

My Leaf has a similar "feature". The App, which is the only way to "remote start" the car to warm it up, is a pay for feature after the first 2 years. Not only is the entire concept kill list-able, the Nissan Connect app itself is hot fucking garbage that barely worked in the first place. As much as I like the Leaf itself, this sort of bullshit is a BIG strike against getting me to consider any carmaker that pulls this sort of shit in the future.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This kind of shit is what drives me crazy about all the tesla fawning. SO much of this company control crap is integrated into the things. Who cares about the fact that it's electric if you have to maintain subscriptions to use a car you fully bought and paid for.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This kind of shit is what drives me crazy about all the tesla fawning. SO much of this company control crap is integrated into the things. Who cares about the fact that it's electric if you have to maintain subscriptions to use a car you fully bought and paid for.
bingo. i have zero interest in a touchscreen control system in a vehicle. terrible idea.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Don't forget that every vehicle produced with soy or other plant based insulation also is a rolling rodent incubator. Wife had a RAV4 and when a mouse ran across the dash on an icy morning we drove it straight to the Subaru dealership and traded it in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Add it to the list of "things we'll sell on safety, but actually make driving more dangerous"
all the more reason i'm becoming more and more inclined to keep my impreza running as long as possible.

Self-driving, ABS, the absurd size of every pickup truck made, AWD that only auto activates after shit has started going wrong......
every time i see a massive bro-dozer i just remind myself that the dumbfuck behind the wheel likely has a 7+ year loan on it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A friend got a $13,000 quote to replace his chewed up wiring harnesses on his Tundra.
For sure, you can't just isolate and replace a wire in a car, they haven't been designed like that since like 1960.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
A friend got a $13,000 quote to replace his chewed up wiring harnesses on his Tundra.
Damn. I had to put a wiring harness in the last f150 I had, a 2014. That ran $4500 installed if I remember right. 6 months later I found a set of snap on needle nose pliers in my engine compartment.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Speaking of mother nature.......our snowpacolypse turned out to be half rain at my house. I'm shoveling sludge out of the driveway and the rav4 starts flickering its hazard lights. A hazard seizure if you will. I grab a key and look inside and all the cup holders are full of water and the whole inside is drenched. I scrape off the sludge off the roof and the sunroof is cracked open in 'vent' mode. The button for which is right in the middle of the dome lights which no one ever slaps at blindly in the dark.

So it's absolutely pissing rain in between bouts of kinda snow and now we've got a potentially fried vehicle sitting in the driveway because of brilliant fucking convenience design.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Speaking of mother nature.......our snowpacolypse turned out to be half rain at my house. I'm shoveling sludge out of the driveway and the rav4 starts flickering its hazard lights. A hazard seizure if you will. I grab a key and look inside and all the cup holders are full of water and the whole inside is drenched. I scrape off the sludge off the roof and the sunroof is cracked open in 'vent' mode. The button for which is right in the middle of the dome lights which no one ever slaps at blindly in the dark.

So it's absolutely pissing rain in between bouts of kinda snow and now we've got a potentially fried vehicle sitting in the driveway because of brilliant fucking convenience design.
I hate sunroofs. I don't understand the desire let alone all the shitty complications.

The good news is that the electronics will probably be fine once dried out. 12v isn't high enough to cause problems when wet. Good luck drying it out before mildew sets in, also drying it out in winter. Might be better off parking it at the highest elevation you can find and letting it freeze dry.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I hate sunroofs. I don't understand the desire let alone all the shitty complications.

The good news is that the electronics will probably be fine once dried out. 12v isn't high enough to cause problems when wet. Good luck drying it out before mildew sets in, also drying it out in winter. Might be better off parking it at the highest elevation you can find and letting it freeze dry.
I'm counting on a day or two of freezing and then just letting the sun and a cranked heater do its thing. Our driveway is sloped and it was facing downhill which made everything so much worse. But at least the windshield faces south and even winter sun here is substantial. Grabbing some buckets of desiccant tomorrow too. I'm still a little spooked that it got wet enough that 12v started moving through the system. Dash and center console (which has gadget connections) is drenched.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm counting on a day or two of freezing and then just letting the sun and a cranked heater do its thing. Our driveway is sloped and it was facing downhill which made everything so much worse. But at least the windshield faces south and even winter sun here is substantial. Grabbing some buckets of desiccant tomorrow too. I'm still a little spooked that it got wet enough that 12v started moving through the system. Dash and center console (which has gadget connections) is drenched.

Space heater will help speed things up, especially if it catches fire. Look forward to scraping the inside of the windows for a while.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
We got another day of hard winter and then we'll start getting creative.

Fortunately mildew and fungus don't really happen here. I grew up in a swamp........I remember.....

Fun fact: even though I'd been traveling to and riding around seattle and bellingham for years for summer bike riding, when I interviewed for a job in the ham and went to work with the office for a week....all I noticed was the mildew growing in everyone's doorjambs. Work trucks, personal cars.....all of them. It triggered something in me that took me back to the swamp. Namely that no matter how much bladder control I lose here in sunny CA, give it 5 minutes and it will all be okay.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Car detailers dry the interior by running the heat full blast for a few hours while idling

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
your environment is probably dry enough (low RH) a big box fan would likely be more expedient than just a space heater. unless you're going westy's arson route.