Quantcast

saddle recommendations?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Let's hear 'em. I need a new saddle. The stock one that came on my Trek 2000 sucks and it's time to replace it.

I tried a "use the search function frikkin n00b!" but that didn't help.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
I've had more luck on the road and XC both with a Selle Italia Flite Trans Am.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i dig the tried and true basic - selle italia flite. no cutouts, gel layers, carbon whizwangs, just some padding, ti rails, and leather.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
What do you run on your mtn bikes? That's where I'd start. Personally, I run a variation of the Flite on every bike I have, from BMX, to road, to the DH bike. Some like the Flite, others don't.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I Are Baboon said:
Both purchased because of the price.
This can work for mtn bike saddles, but for road saddles, it might not. I guess it's hard for me as I've run a Flite since '93. On my road bike, I run a Flite Turbomatic II (NLA). Basically a std Flite with a bit of suspension. I had a Flite MAX on my cross-biek a few years ago. That was a comfy saddle, but I think it's NLA as well...

Sorry I can't be more help... :wonky2: but saddles really are a personal thing. If I can make any worthwhile suggestion it is do NOT go to the shop and test saddles when your butt is sore. Total waste of time as no saddle will feel good in that situation. Plus, there is s the simple fact that it takes time to get used to being on any saddle for hours at a time.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah, buying a road saddle based on price isn't going to happen. I just want to get a feel for what you're all using on your road bikes. I figure the popular saddles are popular for a reason.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Ian F said:
I guess it's hard for me as I've run a Flite since '93.
That's about when I started riding Flites. Haven't found a need to change.

Note -- if you sweat a lot watch out for the ones with embroiderery anywhere on the sitting area. I have a brand new one where the leather shrunk a little and ripped all the way around the stiching.:mumble: I don't know if they fixed it, but the perforated ones wore out quickly.

splat

Nam I am
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, buying a road saddle based on price isn't going to happen. I just want to get a feel for what you're all using on your road bikes. I figure the popular saddles are popular for a reason.
Com on , be daring , Go for the cheap saddle !!! You never know your Bum May Like it :D

I have been using flite's and Specilized Body Geometry's for the past 15 years on my Roadies

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
If you like WTB saddles, IAB, I have ridden a Rocket V Stealth with great luck for a while. I just loaned it to someone else so I took it off of the CX bike.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've read a review or two and it actually works well. Looks weird though, but I can see how it would make you sit on your sit bones while in the saddle.

Loco, as far as it screaming broken weiner, it is actually designed to help prevent just that. :rolleyes:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I think I'm going to try the Brooks B17 that Opie and JBP recommended. I've heard good things about Brooks saddles and I like the price. If I don't like the Brooks, I'll opt for one of those mucho expensive Italian ones.