Quantcast

Saddles.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Okay - who's making decent saddles these days that aren't $200? I'm tired of suffering on rides longer than a couple hours.

Thus far off my list:

-Anything WTB (currently have a Silverado on my roadie)
-Fi'zik Gobi and Pave
-Selle Italia Flite/SLK
-Tioga Spider
-Velo anything

My ass seems to be picky. Certain saddles cause different issues. Right now my Silverado cuts off blood flow to my junk causing numbness and pain after a couple hours. It also occasionally gives me weird sciatica in my left leg. Anything else WTB gives me epic saddle soreness. The Gobi too. I thought the Pave was okay until I started getting numb a week on it. The Selle Italias are a combination of everything nasty.

How are the Specialized BG and the Bontys? I like the "return if you don't like" aspect, but the pricetag is scary.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've been really impressed with my Specialized Avatar BG saddle... it's the 3rd saddle I've had (had the Pave previously, and a stock saddle before that) and far and away the most comfy.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
My Fizik Antares (picked it up for $115 or something on sale) was a freakin' rockstar for a 4.5 hour ride the other weekend. Dunno...though, the nose is a bit wider than the Arione and seems to be rubbing my inner thigh...i might have to change to the Arione and see how it goes.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Specialized Phenom is the shiz. I know, looks like an MTB saddle but I'm running it on my roadies and XC bikes now and am very pleased. Specialized Toupe works well too from my experience. Romin is interesting but I have no time on it, couple teammates are happy with it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm rocking an older Specialized Alias, and though it's working well, I really want to try a Romin - I sat on one and it seems awesome. Specialized offers saddle demos, so maybe find a local shop that has the width you want and try it a few times?

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Specialized Toupe. It's strange to pay so much for such a small, probably cheap piece of plastic, but I decided straight away that it was worth it. The padding is really thin, but the shell is also thin and flexes enough for it to be comfortable. Sit on your sit bones, not on soft tissue. Haven't tried the Romin.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I've been running a Terry Damselfly on my road bike (men's version is the fly) and I have heard good reviews of their new FLX line (men & women) but I personally haven't tried it yet.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
my bits and pieces have been quite happy on a titanium terry fly. i actually bought it "used" off fleabay for a measly $35!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Went into the nearest SpecialEd dealer today to check out saddles (and also hunt for a cartridge bearing). Stared dumbfounded at the saddle selection/Specialized demo display for a solid ten minutes...not a soul helped me.

The Romins DO look quite nice, though. I'll have to see if there's another dealer nearby...