Quantcast

Sag problem

RottenRob

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
I can not get more than 5mm of sag on my sons Kona Stinky. It has the Marzocchi Roco shock. I put a 325# spring on which is as light as they come. He is about 90lbs. Any one have any idea what I can do to make the shock more supple. I have turned the compression all the way out.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
You can get a custom springs made which are lighter, I am having to find a place that can make 125-lb springs for a double barrel to go on a small race car. I know there are options out there, and it sounds like a lighter spring is what you need.

RottenRob

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
I assume you're running as little preload as possible right?
Yes, barely any. I don't think it is necessarily his weight, I think something is not right with the shock. I am going to change the oil in it tonight and see if that helps. Has any one done this with a Roco and if so any advice would be great. For instance how much oil?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
a roco air with lighter oil would be a sweet setup for your son, as he gets heavier just add air!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
If there isn't paint on the spring, you could anneal the spring in your oven. Try 450 for 10 minutes. Worse case, you will ruin the spring if it gets too soft.

If there is paint, I would suggest using something that you don't care if it stinks to anneal the spring.

We have done this on some Chinese knock off 50's that came with rear springs stiff enough for a 500 pound guy to ride it. Works good.

XGrantX

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
A Stinky's suspension is designed in such a way that its really stiff at the top of its travel and dosn't sag like a downhill bike. My friend has a stinky with a dhx and 450 spring and only gets about 10% sag but bottoms out the bike frequently. Correct me if im wrong but its a regressive rate suspension system designed to pedal not sag like a vpp dw type linkage arrangement.

RottenRob

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
A Stinky's suspension is designed in such a way that its really stiff at the top of its travel and dosn't sag like a downhill bike. My friend has a stinky with a dhx and 450 spring and only gets about 10% sag but bottoms out the bike frequently. Correct me if im wrong but its a regressive rate suspension system designed to pedal not sag like a vpp dw type linkage arrangement.
I hope not or I have bought my kid the wrong bike:bonk:

mmaddmark

Monkey
Feb 24, 2004
feel lucky. i put a new roco on my v10,and its as if its nothing but sag.(then again these rigs sag under their own weight just sitting) try a lighter oil, maybe check the air pressure in the res. i think they come stock with only 50 psi. in them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
to change the oil you have to do it in a full submersion bath. so you'll need way more oil than will actually go into the shock. if you don't do this you'll spend upwards of 5-6 hours burping the shock to get all the air out, and even then you won't get it all.

RottenRob

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
I think I will just take it in to Marzocchi and see what they can do for me. Probably get it revalved for his weight.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
Yah that one guy is right about the stinkys not sagging as much as other bikes. I have a stinky with a roco and it's no where near the sag of my friends V-10 or Canfield F1. But once you get past that first part it becomes really smooth. And I don't bottom it out all the time.

But yah the spring is your prob. I'm around 175 on a 450. So a 90 pound guy on a 325 prob. won't work.

RottenRob

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
What's strange is on his friends bikes the sag is fine with a 450 spring. One of them has a specialized bighit 3 and the other has a giant faith.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
The difference is leverage ratios and progression curves. A Big Hit will not respond the same as a V10, or your Kona.

Chris is right - get the spring rate right, then control shock compression speed/bottom out through valving.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
what year stinky, and what model?

the 2003 stinky is progressive until the very end wehre it ramps up a tiny bit, and the 2003 stinky deelux ends up at a softer at the end than when it started (regressive). a bighit is a really progressive linkage, it starts at 3.8:1 and ends at 2.7:1 (i have some program i got off i think mbaction that says all this stuff)

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
to change the oil you have to do it in a full submersion bath. so you'll need way more oil than will actually go into the shock. if you don't do this you'll spend upwards of 5-6 hours burping the shock to get all the air out, and even then you won't get it all.
not on a roco, remember its got a bleed hole.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I think I will just take it in to Marzocchi and see what they can do for me. Probably get it revalved for his weight.

no, really, get the correct spring first. bike tuning step 1 is springrate, then start worrying about valving.

on a bike like a stinky, you shouldnt really expect all that much sag, 20% would be normal, with a normal sag of 30% for a dh bike, a stinky will probably bottom out more than desireable.

seriously try to get your hands on a 250lbs/in spring, THEN start thinking about valves and oil.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sag is purely a spring weight issue. Valving does not come into play until oil is being circulated through the valves. The shock must be active, not static.

At 90 lbs with a growing boy, i also suggest a DH/freeride specific air shock.

RottenRob

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
what year stinky, and what model?

the 2003 stinky is progressive until the very end wehre it ramps up a tiny bit, and the 2003 stinky deelux ends up at a softer at the end than when it started (regressive). a bighit is a really progressive linkage, it starts at 3.8:1 and ends at 2.7:1 (i have some program i got off i think mbaction that says all this stuff)
It is a 2006 Stinky Deluxe frame.