Quantcast

Saint Shifter Review

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just picked up a Saint rear shifter for my bike so I figured I'd post a review about it and let people know how it works since I've heard nothing about them.

The first thing you notice is how small the thing is out of the packaging; it's tiny. The upshift (to get into a harder gear) paddle is really small, as is the other one. The cool thing about the size is it allows you to run your lever on the inside to get it in the right place as opposed to having your shifter on the inside.

At first I wasn't too sure on the shape, it seemed like the thumb paddle stuck out too much. However, after riding it for a weekend I can say it works well although I may trim it sometime as an experiment, after I see if I can buy them via BTI or something.

The action is super fast. Downshifting is "bam, bam, bam" as opposed to "clunk, clunk, clunk" like my old LX shifter. I didn't think it would make a big difference. Even compared to an LX shifter on my other bike it's super crisp.

Bottom line, if you have a Shimano setup (or if you're deciding between Shimano and Sram) and you want to get that little extra performance for gate starts or whatever, this is a good buy. Plus your brakes are in the right spot and it adds that little bit of coolness to your bike. Although it's a little pricey, compared to anything from Sram that's comparable like X0 or X9 it's not bad, or even compared to XT or XTR triggers. I really recommend it. Plus, unlike Sram shifters, it comes w/ a really nice stainless cable instead of those poopy teflon ones.

If you want to order one, BTI carries them so any respectable shop will order through them.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, no problem. Like I said I'd heard nothing about them so I bought one knowing I'd be a guinnea pig.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Been running one for 5 months.

It lies between xtr and xt in terms of shift quality, not quite as nice as xtr, but better then xt.

Nice to be able to run inboard for 1 finger braking.

Here is a write up i did on farkin.net on the saint shifter 5 months ago.

cave dweller said:
I just got myself a new saint shifter yesterday (as my 3 year old XTR shifter finally shat itself) and i have to say it is the best thing since sliced bread :D It has super short paddles that allow you to run it inboard of the brake lever. This can be seen comparing the new saint shifter to an xt shifter i have.

I don't know about anyone else, but i like to run my brake levers way inboard so that i can get maximum power from 1 finger braking. This has ALWAYS caused problems with the shifter. If you mount the shifter outboard of the brake (as it is designed) the shifter is almost out of reach and requires sticking your thumb way out to get it. You end up compromising the location of the brake lever just so you can reach the dam shifter

The only other option was to run the shifter inboard, but this results in the paddles being way to close, the upshift paddle is way to close to your thumb, and quite often the downshift trigger hits the grip (if you are running fat grips like ourys) meaning you can't change into harder gears.

The saint is designed to be run inboard. You can put the brake and the lever in the exact position you want. Neither paddle hits the grip and its in the perfect spot for thumb shifts. Neat!

The shift quality is xt level, no where near as nice, light and crisp as my old xtr, but it is only half the price so you get what you pay for. They are around $130rrp i think. The one thing i have noticed is because the down shift paddle is so short, the effective lever length is shortened so it does require a little bit more force to get it to move, but thats a small price to pay. Thank god shimano finally produced something for the DH crowd.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
It's going to match up nicely with the new Saint RD for 07 - a conventional spring RD!!

You'd think that they would come out with the high-normal rear d. at the same time as the rapid fire shifter :rolleyes:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Agreed, got a few days ride time on mine now. At first it's a little weird, but you soon get used to it and the shifter is much closer to hand than when running it inboard of the brake. No hand movements are necessary to get to it. I'm running mine with Hope brakes, and the nut on the underside of the brake lever does get in the way a little, but rotating the shifter down a bit gets round this, and still feels comfy to use. Besides, you could probably run the brake pivot bolt the other way up if it bothered you.

Mated with an Ultegra rear mech, I have intuitive, crisp, fast, and durable shifting without paying the extortionate prices XO costs over here.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
If you are running shimano the Saint shifter is awesome
I had a factory one actually 2 to 3 years ago which I got off Kovarik,
he was running a factory XTR with the same short paddles then
when Shimano used to make custom parts for team riders to use.

I've used the Saint shifter recently on my previous bike and it still shifts and feels awesome.

It would be interested to see if the short paddles can be
swapped into a XTR shifter if you like the XTR shifting
better than the XT/Saint shifting