Quantcast

Sam adams winter classics sampler

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Grabbed one of these this weekend because I hadn't had Sam Adams in a while and wanted to mix things up a bit. Now my first question why does Sam Adams light come in the winter sampler....winter brews are supposed to be nice dark warming beers. I would have much rather had 2 doublebocks in there instead of the 2 lights which I promptly gave away. Aside from that its not a bad buy. The cranberry lamic isn't great, and I wouldnt crave having one again but that said it wasn't a bad change of pace and I am glad I at least tried it. The winter lager this year seemed a little lighter then previous years..but maybe that was just my batch. The holiday porter was not bad at all, not quite what I would expect from a true porter but it was still good nonetheless. The regular Sam was of course regular sam, and thus a decent american lager that I never mind drinking. Finally comes the old Fezziwig ale, by far my favorite of the group. Very nice roasted nut taste to it, good head and lacing too. Despite the fact this may sound like I am griping a little I would definately say its not a bad buy at all, sometimes I just get a little nit picky when it comes to beers. Just curious what other people thought about it, and hey if you are in the mood for a little change of pace grab a 12'r and sample some different styles that only peer their heads for a short time of year. Cheers.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
GumbaFish said:
The cranberry lamic isn't great
I resent a company that made it's name on "craft brewing" calling a beer a lambic when it isn't one.:mumble:

That being said, the sampler is OK, and is a good way to please a varied crowd for the holidays.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
True I should have said cranberry "lambic" because it really isn't a representation of a lambic at all...I just ignored the label while I drank it in hopes I would forget they tried to make a lambic and this was the result