Quantcast

Sam Hill cranks in Mont Sainte Anne

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Gravity Cranks - Grey Color. Are they any different than existing production models? Not sure, nor will I speculate as internet rumors are silly. They do match his team kit better than black though.

That is a cool picture of him practicing though.

Michael

e.thirteen / Evil

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
They are Gravity Light cranks (formerly Afterburner Xtreme). He gets them in gray b/c...well see the "Sam Hill" thread for all multitude of reasons...Sam has been running 34T & 36T rings this season w/ 11-21/23T roadie cassettes.

-ska todd

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
partsbara said:
thats why you guys will never be as fast as the aussies... you care more about how you look...
You can't tell me that you didn't think electric blue was the most awesome jersey color ever.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The DHX Air was only used for Sea Otter where you could get away with it b/c the course was so smooth - so they used the Air mainly to save weight.

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
partsbara said:
thats why you guys will never be as fast as the aussies... you care more about how you look...
either that or because Australians get real support and actually have coaches for gravity racers, but you know whatever...it could be the fashion thing....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
ska todd said:
Sam has been running 34T & 36T rings this season w/ 11-21/23T roadie cassettes.

-ska todd
Really? Seems on a WC course that wouldn't work too well but who the hell am I to judge?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They're frikken fast. Picture riding down a wide open course at pro speed, but w/ a 36t ring. Seems like you'd get spun out.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Bicyclist said:
They're frikken fast. Picture riding down a wide open course at pro speed, but w/ a 36t ring. Seems like you'd get spun out.
36x11 is a pretty fair size gear still.........plus after a while it's faster just to tuck and not pedal.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Next time you're out, see how much torque you're generating in the smallest gear (back) and with a 40 tooth ring. It's barely even noticeable. Personally, I'd much rather tuck in the fast sections, conserve energy, and have a nice toight drive system with as little chain as possible/as much ground clearance as possible (for the bash).

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Rye_Bread said:
either that or because Australians get real support and actually have coaches for gravity racers, but you know whatever...it could be the fashion thing....
Come over to Australia during our summer, for the national series, and see exactly what "real support" the riders here get. It's summed up in the following points:

There's F all here... the fast guys get stuff cheap from a distributor/importer/shop usually, and that's generally it unless they manage to get sponsorship from overseas.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
thaflyinfatman said:
Come over to Australia during our summer, for the national series, and see exactly what "real support" the riders here get. It's summed up in the following points:

There's F all here... the fast guys get stuff cheap from a distributor/importer/shop usually, and that's generally it unless they manage to get sponsorship from overseas.
hunger...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Bicyclist said:
i ran a 38/12 at saint-anne. when it spun out i just tucked, at those speeds and especially on rough sections it's way faster than pedaling. as long as you have the right gear for pedaling out of corners you can get away with a pretty small chainring.

C

CQB

I'm going to try a Monster Energy drink for the 1'st time tommorrow..
Sam Hill made me do it !!

DHsloth

Chimp
Dec 30, 2005
Philippines
Hmmm....makes good sense. Given the same cog if you're on 36T you can definitely accelerate much much faster than a 40T out of corners. Then tuck in if you spun out....Got to try this one. Thanks for the tip guys......

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Banga said:
and at the course to be used for this years worlds, which is not smooth.

ever hear of a thing called product testing?

lots of riders run different setups in the winter to see what works and doesn't. air shocks were all over the best racers bikes this winter for that reason (fabian barel had one on for the first two maxxis cup races, etc).

the only way to see how stuff works in a race situation is to use it in a race... on a real course.

ouside of 4x you would bw hard pressed to find an air shock on anyones dh bike at the world cup level right now.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Whoa, his 36 by 11t ratio is harder than my 38 by 12 ratio, I just realized that. So I could go to a 36t front w/ an 11-21 and have fast shifting and a harder ending ratio. Wow.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
some info...

34x11 = 80.4"
34x12 = 73.7"
36x11 = 85.1"
36x12 = 78"
38x11 = 89.8"
38x12 = 82.3"

-ska todd

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...O.K. - I don't know me rectum from a hole in the ground when it comes to gearing, determining ratios, etc - could someone give a brief refresher here?

Todd - what did you just post?

How do you figure out what gear ratio will give more speed?

Quicker acceleration?

Require more torque?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
S.K.C. said:
...O.K. - I don't know me rectum from a hole in the ground when it comes to gearing, determining ratios, etc - could someone give a brief refresher here?

Todd - what did you just post?

How do you figure out what gear ratio will give more speed?

Quicker acceleration?

Require more torque?
Basically, you divide your chainring size by the rear gear (in this case, the hardest one). That gives the gear ratio, or how much bigger your front ring is than your cog. A bigger gear ratio = a harder gear. The torque/acceleration aspect is the same as shifting in the back: a harder gear will have the same effect no matter what. Gear inches factor in wheel size, so on a mountain bike assuming the rear wheel is 26" you don't have to worry about that.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Nice LG-1 guide with inner bashring/skidplate.

Sam's all about corner speed. He's mostly just pedaling out of corners and pumping/tucking.

He runs a 13.5 BB and lots of sag so he needs the clearance. All about cornering...

Not to mention the 165mm cranks w/flats pedals too.

I wish it was all about cornering for me too but i need to have fintess for pedaling out of the corner i just blew...

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
davetrump said:
ever hear of a thing called product testing?

lots of riders run different setups in the winter to see what works and doesn't. air shocks were all over the best racers bikes this winter for that reason (fabian barel had one on for the first two maxxis cup races, etc).

the only way to see how stuff works in a race situation is to use it in a race... on a real course.

ouside of 4x you would bw hard pressed to find an air shock on anyones dh bike at the world cup level right now.

well yeah that was my point, they arent just using it on smooth course, they are trying it on 'real' courses.

Maybe Ill be clearer for you in the future:rolleyes:

DHsloth

Chimp
Dec 30, 2005
Philippines
Maybe that's why Sam can drift with pedalling so well in corners. Because it is easier to pedal with that gearing and quicky accerate out of those turns...