Quantcast

San Fran vs. Single Speed

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
So I thought I'd get acquainted with the new neighborhood by taking my ol' SS out for a spin. I'm turning a 44 x 16t right now, and well... it hurt. A lot.

Apparently it's time for a real road bike. One with gears and such. Dammit.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
*towlie voice*
Don't forget to get a triple.

heya Mark, I see you're selling a lot of stuff... nice snow gear. I'd buy the skis, but I'm broke. So you're settling in in SF, are ya?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
going into San Fran from Hayward, we had an easy ride. 1/10 of a mile from the host family's house, we took a right turn and our jaws hit the floor. ****ing straight up. god damn.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
LordOpie said:
*towlie voice*
Don't forget to get a triple.

heya Mark, I see you're selling a lot of stuff... nice snow gear. I'd buy the skis, but I'm broke. So you're settling in in SF, are ya?
Yup, SF is my new home. Pretty psyched.

As for selling stuff... ugh, that ain't the half of it. And if I don't actually get some decent time in Tahoe this winter there will be a whole lot more of it on the chopping block.

Nothing like unpacking to remind a man that he has WAY TOO MUCH CRAP!!!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
the Inbred said:
going into San Fran from Hayward, we had an easy ride. 1/10 of a mile from the host family's house, we took a right turn and our jaws hit the floor. ****ing straight up. god damn.
No ****. There were a couple of streets where I started to turn onto them and just thought "**** that." Even still I didn't have much choice but to hit some hills that were hold-breath-and-pull-as-hard-as-possible steep. It was worth it though... the views from Presidio and the Golden Gate are just spectacular. I love this city already.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
no more pac nw-age for you? looks like we're never going to go riding :D

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Toshi said:
no more pac nw-age for you? looks like we're never going to go riding :D
I'm pretty sure I'll find a way to hit up Oregon and WA again. There was WAY too much up there that I missed out on.

henrymiller

Monkey
May 4, 2002
Denver-A-Go-Go
ohio said:
So I thought I'd get acquainted with the new neighborhood by taking my ol' SS out for a spin. I'm turning a 44 x 16t right now, and well... it hurt. A lot.

Apparently it's time for a real road bike. One with gears and such. Dammit.
Sounds like you should pony up and get a fixed gear.

Zaphod

Chimp
Sep 4, 2004
San Jose
Just get a smaller chainring and call it good.

I love riding those sick hills in the city. About a year ago I rode the second steepest hill in the city and slipped on a leaf near the top. I still need to go back and complete the ascent..

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ohio said:
No ****. There were a couple of streets where I started to turn onto them and just thought "**** that." Even still I didn't have much choice but to hit some hills that were hold-breath-and-pull-as-hard-as-possible steep. It was worth it though... the views from Presidio and the Golden Gate are just spectacular. I love this city already.
did you go across the Golden Gate? heading N, there's a road just on the other side of the Golden Gate that heads left up the side of a hill. awesome view from there.

what part of San Fran are you in?

Zaphod

Chimp
Sep 4, 2004
San Jose
I rode that road a few weeks ago. Not much of a view though because of all the fog. But sitting on the bench reading was kind of cool, with all the fog horns as a backdrop.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah, the fog was clearing when we got to the top. it was a neat view. despite not liking SF too much, the city's skyline is quite cool.