Quantcast

sanjay's . . . . bcd inedible ----->

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The bcd frame is definatley made with an emphasis on strength. I believe it is made with many layers prepreg large weave carbon fiber, similar to the McLaren F1 supercar and F1 race car parts. The less resin in the carbon fiber, the stronger it is. This isn't bling bling super clear coated stuff, its the real deal. There is a lot of custom fabrication that goes into each frame, it has a unique handmade, one off look to it. If you see one in person you realize just how strongly built it is. Hopefully I will have enough parts to build up my frame soon and actually ride it.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Originally posted by Dog Welder
HEY BCD...just out of curiosity how many hours does it take you to make one of those frames?

Do you start with a premade molded CF frame parts, ie top tube, head tube, down tube, and just keep wrapping it in sheets of CF?

man, i wish. i could make a bike in 5 days.
i start with raw material and make everypart by hand. including bb shell, der hanger, disc tab, and chainguide. i have to make the chain guide b/c the chain runes next to the frame and there is no room for a purchaced one. some of the frame acts as a guide.
some of the material is prepreg and other is dry fiber & epoxy. the only dry fiber i use is the headtube and that will change when i make some new molds. the tubes are blater molded at 360 deg. the swingarms and subframe are compresion molded with a balsa wood core. the head it vacumed in a autoclave. each frame is draw for the customer and fitted and glued in my jig.

i bet i have 50 to 70 hrs in one. depending on how smooth it goes.:rolleyes: :D

man, i hope sanjay brings me some biz! this is the first frame i have given away. it is like giving 2k to someone. MR Dirt gave me a fork one year. that was about the same. now i know how he felt.:dead:

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
bcd said:
man, i wish. i could make a bike in 5 days.
i start with raw material and make everypart by hand. including bb shell, der hanger, disc tab, and chainguide. i have to make the chain guide b/c the chain runes next to the frame and there is no room for a purchaced one. some of the frame acts as a guide.
some of the material is prepreg and other is dry fiber & epoxy. the only dry fiber i use is the headtube and that will change when i make some new molds. the tubes are blater molded at 360 deg. the swingarms and subframe are compresion molded with a balsa wood core. the head it vacumed in a autoclave. each frame is draw for the customer and fitted and glued in my jig.

i bet i have 50 to 70 hrs in one. depending on how smooth it goes.:rolleyes: :D

man, i hope sanjay brings me some biz! this is the first frame i have given away. it is like giving 2k to someone. MR Dirt gave me a fork one year. that was about the same. now i know how he felt.:dead:

There is a lot of love that goes into these frames, its the reason I've always wanted one and the reason I'll never get rid of it. :love:

Its also a BAD ASS race machine, from the way it pedals to how stiff the rear end is because of the way its all tied together. I've raced mine at Boulder City and beaten it up on trails all over the South West, and it comes back for more every time. (and this is after Jeff raced it all last season, it's a 2nd hand bike)

That is going to make one SICK 35lb race bike! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Alex,

I need to take some photos of how I modified a E13 guide to fit these frames better, including using the lower roller assembley.

R

Rabie

Metal said:
Hey Paki,

Have you received your new frames yet, well one new and one "repaired". You said about 2-3 weeks ago that they shipped 2 weeks ago.
I have not received the frames, but I have received multiple reassurances that they will be here 'any day now.' Something about homeland security taking time screening all large shipments to Pakis.

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
I'm still trying to figure out if you guys are crazy insane or insane crazy!

Is this a custom company (BCD) or is it a one off creation for Sanjay?

Either way, it looks dope, no doubt about it! Nice work man!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Captain Crunch said:
I'm still trying to figure out if you guys are crazy insane or insane crazy!

Is this a custom company (BCD) or is it a one off creation for Sanjay?

Either way, it looks dope, no doubt about it! Nice work man!
bcd only builds frames on order, and they're all entirely custom. :thumb:

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
To: Anyone concerned with the durability of BCD

I rode a BCD last season, it held up, that is my story. I weigh 195 and ride real heavy, I am the anti smooth. That's what happens when you get a slow guy that wants so badly to be fast. The only thing I broke was the shock mounting bolt, the carbon was so strong I ran it with the bolt broken in half, putting uber stress on the carbon. (thing about that for a minute) It still held up, and I still ended up on the podium

I even threw it into a rock pile in ID. It just scuffed the carbon (at the thinnest point too)

I ran Singletracks, used the same one on the rear all year long...my front rim would blow up faster than my rear...yea, the suspension works that well...plus it fit me like a glove.

If I was still 100 percent privateer, I'd ride one...they do make the average rider faster and more confident, END OF STORY

Be afraid of Sanjay...be very afraid...

This is basically factory "werks" level frames offered to the public, they may look a little raw...get on one and you will understand.

My biggest regret is getting rid of the frame...never should I have done that...

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
For some retarded reason last night, only the first and last pages of this already long thread were visible to me..... I don't know except to say my computer is effed.

I went to BCD's website now and see that this fellow has been doing this for a minute already, cool stuff! Well, I wish you luck in your continuing endeavour to be original in an industry where uniqueness doesen't always get the respect or recognition it deserves!

Maybe I'll rock one someday when I have lots of american dollares to spend on my bikes, till then, I'll just have to keep riding the piss out of the old aluminum bullit. She does the job.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
neversummersnow said:
To: Anyone concerned with the durability of BCD

I rode a BCD last season, it held up, that is my story. I weigh 195 and ride real heavy, I am the anti smooth. That's what happens when you get a slow guy that wants so badly to be fast. The only thing I broke was the shock mounting bolt, the carbon was so strong I ran it with the bolt broken in half, putting uber stress on the carbon. (thing about that for a minute) It still held up, and I still ended up on the podium

I even threw it into a rock pile in ID. It just scuffed the carbon (at the thinnest point too)

I ran Singletracks, used the same one on the rear all year long...my front rim would blow up faster than my rear...yea, the suspension works that well...plus it fit me like a glove.

If I was still 100 percent privateer, I'd ride one...they do make the average rider faster and more confident, END OF STORY

Be afraid of Sanjay...be very afraid...

This is basically factory "werks" level frames offered to the public, they may look a little raw...get on one and you will understand.

My biggest regret is getting rid of the frame...never should I have done that...
Those frames are so beautiful. Glad to hear it holds up to a bigger rider. Im like 200-210# depending on how much I eat and when in the year, haha.I'd definitely be rocking one if I could afford one. Just went to the site and maybe its just my computer illiteracy but I couldnt find any prices. Does anybody know how much these cost? I saw a few at AngelFire last weekend and the riders were smoking on them! The guy came in first in JuniorX I think...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
mtnbkr4235 said:
Those frames are so beautiful. Glad to hear it holds up to a bigger rider. Im like 200-210# depending on how much I eat and when in the year, haha.I'd definitely be rocking one if I could afford one. Just went to the site and maybe its just my computer illiteracy but I couldnt find any prices. Does anybody know how much these cost? I saw a few at AngelFire last weekend and the riders were smoking on them! The guy came in first in JuniorX I think...
Earlier in the thread he said they were $2500 as seen (I assume that means with BB, headset, shock and chainguide).

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
binary visions said:
Earlier in the thread he said they were $2500 as seen (I assume that means with BB, headset, shock and chainguide).
Thanks. My computer is being retarded not to mention the new ridemonkey is semi-confusing to navigate at first. lol. ;)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
mtnbkr4235 said:
I saw a few at AngelFire last weekend and the riders were smoking on them! The guy came in first in JuniorX I think...

yeah, seth won! good job man. :cool:

he is off to WV.

thanks all. making frames is my job and a hope to keep doing it. :heart: :thumb: