Quantcast

Santa Barbara Cold Springs in the light rain

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Yes I know we're not supposed to ride the trails in the rain, but with a light misting up near the top the traction is the best I have ever seen it and not muddy in the dirt either so it isn't destructive at all. Some of the rocks were slick but actually gave incredible traction (some perfect combination of the small amount of water with the pourous sandstone). They only places we saw standing water were in some of the rockgardens (the usual spots that there's water for a few days after rainfall). We saw 2 hikers on the entire trail and both were pleasant. The air was nice and cool too so I could keep pinning it without worrying about getting too hot and fatigued. It was particularly neat with the ultra heavy fog on the top half too. Nothing like staying pinned into some crazy rocks with 15 foot visibility in some spots. No pics unfortunately, but I've found that the best time to do CS is when it's cloudy and a tiny bit damp - great traction, no hikers to speak of. As many before me have stated, Cold Springs rocks!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I just rode it today with ThrillKiller. I love when dirt is the perfect wetness, not muddy or too dry. It was like that at my first Fontana race.