Quantcast

Santa Barbara trail advice

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Hi guys. My wife is getting back into riding, and I need advice on a trail to take her on this weekend.

I'd prefer singletrack to fireroad, although fireroad is OK if it is relatively remote and scenic. Some obstacles/challenges are fine, but nothing overly technical is preferable- particularly when it comes to climbing. Long, not-too-technical climbing is OK, but a roller coaster ride would be preferable.

Any suggestions?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Maybe Jesusita? Not too bad of a begginer trail. If not Romero would be the other trail.

Good luck though, hopefull that isn't too tuff

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Camuesa Connector is the call. 13 mile loop. As close to rolling singletrack as you'll find in the county. Its actually more like uphill switchbacks, then downhill ones. Parts are loike a bobsled run, fun stuff. Access it on Paradise Canyon Rd off the 154. Go to the Upper Oso campground and park. 4 miles up the fireroad (streep) 5 mi of single and ride the road back to the car.

Originally posted by Bacardi
Bring the Tecnu! Poison oak is starting to take over back there...same goes for jesusita.
we rode tunnel last weekend and there was a ton of poison oak all over the lower section of that trail also.....

(edit: to the original poster: don't even think about riding this trail with your wife. off the hook technical trail...)

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
She'll hate you if you take her down any of the SB front range trails. Go here, Newbury Park has a PERFECT & fun ride for her to get back into it (worth driving 45 minutes south):

http://www.nrmbc.org/TrailMaps/Sycamore/AreaTrails.htm

Park at Potrero and Wendy, ride #1 down into the canyon, take a right a few hundred yards up #3, go left onto rolling singletrack #4 (gentle rolling downhill), continue onto singletrack #8 (gentle rolling downhill), turn left on fireroad #7 and go up through the valley into the saddle, then turn left onto #3 for about a mile (paved), turn right down the somewhat rocky #5 singletrack downhill, then back up #1 to the car. You'll probably have to push the bikes back up out of the canyon on #1, it's a big hill but it's paved.

It's a great ride for beginners, yet scenic enough for the experts. You'll dig it.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Originally posted by Bacardi
Bring the Tecnu! Poison oak is starting to take over back there...same goes for jesusita.
Better yet, have every one in your group bring a quart spray bottle of Ortho Brush-B-Gone (the one specially designed for poison oak and ivy) mixed at double-strength, the stuff works great. No one will notice your work either, the PO turns into an "old dead bush" within two weeks. Once the leaves are gone, it's much easier for trail crews to cut back the dead branches. Don't worry about contaminating the environment either, the stuff is non-toxic to animals and is simply a salt that PO can't handle.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by towelie
Hi guys. My wife is getting back into riding, and I need advice on a trail to take her on this weekend.

I'd prefer singletrack to fireroad, although fireroad is OK if it is relatively remote and scenic. Some obstacles/challenges are fine, but nothing overly technical is preferable- particularly when it comes to climbing. Long, not-too-technical climbing is OK, but a roller coaster ride would be preferable.

Any suggestions?
Check out the track above Los Positas Park(it's now another name, but it is the big park off of Los Positas Road near the beach). Go up to the top and you have a 3-5 mile loop of singletrack and a bit of fire road. One bigger climb, some cool dh singletrack, some jumps, lots of twists and turns to rail. If you don't want something technical this is the easiest place to get to. It is also a perfect spot to have a picnic or small lunch. If you don't feel like having lunch on the trail just ride up Cliff Drive and you will see a parking lot with a Bank and a grocery store. Super Cucas is in there and they serve the best burrito in SB.....7 bucks will cover a burrito the size of a small baby and a refillable drink.

If you want a BIG climb and some cool fireroad Powerlines is up near Jesusita. Technical climbing and then a big, fast descent to the road.

The Ito

sod8

Chimp
Dec 10, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA
Originally posted by ito
Check out the track above Los Positas Park(it's now another name, but it is the big park off of Los Positas Road near the beach). Go up to the top and you have a 3-5 mile loop of singletrack and a bit of fire road. One bigger climb, some cool dh singletrack, some jumps, lots of twists and turns to rail. If you don't want something technical this is the easiest place to get to. It is also a perfect spot to have a picnic or small lunch. If you don't feel like having lunch on the trail just ride up Cliff Drive and you will see a parking lot with a Bank and a grocery store. Super Cucas is in there and they serve the best burrito in SB.....7 bucks will cover a burrito the size of a small baby and a refillable drink.

The Ito
I went up there this past weekend with my girlfriend and they had a Kona demo going on and she was able to use a bike. It was perfect for her to get a little bit more comfortable on the trail. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that trail was up there.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by sod8
I went up there this past weekend with my girlfriend and they had a Kona demo going on and she was able to use a bike. It was perfect for her to get a little bit more comfortable on the trail. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that trail was up there.

No problem, glad you liked the trail. The guys in SB, including the Kona rep, put a ton of time into it. Nice to see that it is still getting good use. Sweet pictures. The first one is a personal favorite turn of mine.

The Ito