Quantcast

Santa Cruz Nomad vs Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC

Mguts1

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
I'm thinking of maybe upgrading to another bike over my Trek Fuel soon. I mostly ride trails, but wouldn't mind having a little bit of extra travel. I'd like something that is going to be pretty pedal friendly, too because every once in a while I ride on flat crushed limestone trails. I only own one bike at a time, so it kind of as to be a do-all type of bike.

What do you guys think? I imagine that neither is going to be great for the crushed limestone, but what about trail use? Hoping that neither of them is going to be too burly for all-around trail use.

I don't know that much about the prices of either bike, but have kind of gathered that the Nomad may be cheaper. Any thoughts on that one?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You're talking about a lot of travel for pedal friendliness.

Ultimately, with a long travel bike, you have to be willing to make a sacrifice.

The question is what are you doing besides riding flat trails.

Maybe where you ride might be helpful.

Mguts1

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
I'm mostly riding trails in Wisconsin. Petrified Springs and Kettle Morraine South if anyone has heard of them.

I don't necessarily need something that is 100% good with pedaling, but I don't want something that is a tank and weighs over 36ish pounds either. I've ridden a Nomad briefly and it seemed to be good enough for me when I was pedaling around. Just wanted to see how it compared to the Slayer.

tex-bmx

Chimp
May 14, 2009
do not know how the two compare but i just bought a nomad that weighs 28lbs and love it. ride mostly xc type single track in texas with a couple trips each year to do some lift access riding in new mexico, and needed only one bike. pedals as well as any of the shorter travel bikes i have ridden and i like the slack ht angle for a more stable descending feel.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
do not know how the two compare but i just bought a nomad that weighs 28lbs and love it. ride mostly xc type single track in texas with a couple trips each year to do some lift access riding in new mexico, and needed only one bike. pedals as well as any of the shorter travel bikes i have ridden and i like the slack ht angle for a more stable descending feel.

Do you have ay pics/spec? That must be a pimped out nomad...

tex-bmx

Chimp
May 14, 2009
yeah was a bit surprised at the weight of it, built up basically like an xc race bike. would have built it alittle burlier myself but it was a great deal and really the build is ideal for 95% of the riding I do.
frame 09 nomad
fork fox float 36
shock monarch 3.3
wheels mavic crossmax st
cranks, fr/rr der. shifters, pedals XTR
stem/post thompson
bars ritchey wcs rizer
brakes mag marta sl
seat wtb laser v
tires schwalbe rocket rons
grips odi ruffian lock-on

Last edited:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Too much bike for the riding you are describing, IMHO. I'd look more towards Blur LT, Turner Spot, Titus Motolite, Pivot Mach 5 and etc.

rockarollah

Chimp
Feb 11, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Giant Reigns are sort of the poor man's Santa Cruz Blur LT / Nomad, maybe give one a try? I had an '05 and it was decent, but I sold it for a short-travel bike when I moved to Ontario. (Comparing the '05 to a current bike is apples and oranges, I'm sure the modern bike's quite different.) Do they still make the Yeti 575? If you're rich, Ibis Mojo or Scott Genius...

I ride a 5" Specialized Stumpjumper and it's barely, if at all, slower than a hardtail on flat trails. 68.5 head angle too, and it'll hit a 2' drop. Something of that type sounds like more what you're looking for - try a Fuel EX, a Giant Reign X, Blur LT or Cannondale Rize.

Chasintrail

Chimp
Mar 7, 2009
San Diego, CA
IMO this comparison isnt necessarily apples to apples. I think it depends on your budget, buying new or used, and intended use. You can pick up a complete Slayer for almost the price of a Nomad frame if talking new it looks like. I cant comment on the Slayer but I can on the Nomad which I use for all of my riding. I spec'd it more specific to the type of riding I do most so my build doesnt necessarily agree with all riders in the do it all category but can be built to perform even better for most riding conditions. For what it sounds like you are riding you may also want to consider a '06 and up Specialized Enduro, and if you keep your eyes peeled there are great deals on those. My $.02.

Shenzi

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
Lake Zurich, IL
One of my friends ride Kettle with the Slayer, good enough bike for there. Anyway, when we race Kettle the dudes on their hardtail fly by me in the steep uphills, standing up, when I'm spitting my lungs out on my full suspension.

For that kind of travel you are looking for it is going to be hard to stay under 28 lbs without spending a fortune.