Quantcast

Santa Cruz v-10 gen 8 and adjustments

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
cannot WAIT to see the frame color after 10 days in the humidity free CA sun!
Wait till you see my O-CHAIN going on with oval ring . Shits gonna be wootastic...

Yeah right, red gets killed first Everytime..tattoos, paint, anodizing etc...fades so fast..I wanted black but not an option, could have it custom painted but not in that mode right now...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wait till you see my O-CHAIN going on with oval ring . Shits gonna be wootastic...

Yeah right, red gets killed first Everytime..tattoos, paint, anodizing etc...fades so fast..I wanted black but not an option, could have it custom painted but not in that mode right now...

that salmon pink bike you just bought makes ochain seem like a good investment

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I could put ride wrap like puzzle pieces on it then in 6 months pull em off and have a 2 tone atrocity..

If it fades to hell I'll see about bitching and warranty it...I want black or white, a raw carbon like yeti would have been kick butt...
Get punk rock with that shit. Hit it with some rattle can black primer and then scratch in some tiger stripes.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So that's like a double drop in headset?
I hope the next model is the V10 CCP.
Yeah has 3 positions +8*/0*/-8*
There's a top and bottom drop in and then a tiny headset like a 41 or some weird oddball goes in...ordered it already bti...be here next week

It's actually a pretty slick design but no solid consumer use either skilled or stupidity...lol

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As long as the headset reach things stay tight, it shouldn't be a problem right? At least the carbon looks thick there and SC seems to have one of the better warranty departments...

I've only ever had one bike with an integrated headset and it wasn't great. The damn thing came loose once and that was it - was forever fighting to keep the thing from knocking after that.

No bearings on the lower shock mount?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah has 3 positions +8*/0*/-8*
There's a top and bottom drop in and then a tiny headset like a 41 or some weird oddball goes in...ordered it already bti...be here next week

It's actually a pretty slick design but no solid consumer use either skilled or stupidity...lol
that's a similar setup to what guerilla gravity was using. I bet money that it would creak like a bitch once some good west coast volcanic dust got in there but mine never did.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How did you like your v10?
I got it for some dependability reasons over another bike I thought rode better but the newer frame design you have fixes my gripes.

I've sold or trashed almost every mtb thing I have over the last 3 years but the v10 is staying. That new one you have is even better. I'd buy one if I could justify the cost.

and make god damned sure I could get black and not that color

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What's the black thing above the bottom bracket, just behind the pivot?
Hoping it has a smoke screen or drop nails out on the course to slow those behind me...

Haven't had a chance to look at it fully yet, but till then I have dreams...lol

Looked at pics, looks like a cable guide for routing coming out then going to rear triangle..

I'll take a look in the AM ..I still need to actually check it out...

Last edited:

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
Regarding the headset, its exactly how my canyon sender cfr is. I hope the qc from santacruz is better as with canyon the tolerances are way off and comes with a lot of play from factory. A lot of people warrantied it and got delivered a new frame just as bad as the one they send back. I Solved it by epoxying it to the frame. No kidding.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I got it for some dependability reasons over another bike I thought rode better but the newer frame design you have fixes my gripes.

I've sold or trashed almost every mtb thing I have over the last 3 years but the v10 is staying. That new one you have is even better. I'd buy one if I could justify the cost.

yeah, SCB carbon holds up. 5 years on a gen 3 bronson and it's still super solid, cascade link upgrade and new shock this year was a great update. prior to this bike, on Giant and commencal, frame warranty replacements were probably every 1.5-2 years, mix of aluminum and carbon.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
One of my clients have simillar style, adjustable headset on his stumpjumper evo alloy. :homer:
Thats a nope from me.
:nope:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
One of my clients have simillar style, adjustable headset on his stumpjumper evo alloy. :homer:
Thats a nope from me.
:nope:
411 ???

I will say the finish , build and quality of the frame , junctions and openings are clean...can't see under the paint lol...but I'm pretty sure it's as good .lol

I beat the crap out of my HTLT rode it like a DH bike and mulleted to slack it , ran fork 170..that frame took a lot and handled it all .

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol

The black ones looked so good:
1703959867617.png

Also: :drool::headbang:
Congrats on that frame!

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I've been trying to get a V-10 frame for 3-4 years. Those things are hard to come by and hold their value. They're like the Porsche 911's of DH.

Not a fan of the reach adjust "cups" or even the rear axle adjusters. Too much opportunity for creaking and movement. You'd think SC would have learned with the Hightower and Megatower, both had adjustable CS in previous iterations, while the current ones don't. Maybe the cups will be better with a dual crown. The GG versions sure creaked, cracked and popped.

But sick pink bike anyway! :D

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

What were your gripes with the gen 7?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Nah, talking about those drop in, adjustable cups. They creak like crazy. There was so much play, that the upper compression ring started wearing the steer tube :twitch:

"Glued" them in, then the bearings started creaking in those cups. It doesn't mean that the V10 will do the same thing, but hey, it's the bike industry :bonk:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The reach cup on my GG creaked like crazy unless it was packed with grease and heavily preloaded, but the tolerance on it wasn't nearly as tight as what I see on my SC. The fit and finish on them is impeccable.

I love the current gen VPP. Every little pump makes the bike squirt forward, but it's not harsh. You should try riding it without the O-Chain before you put it on. I think for your riding (jumping, railing ruts & corners) you're going to love it. Congrats on the new bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I think for your riding (jumping, railing ruts & corners) you're going to love it. Congrats on the new bike.
Thanks, appreciate that..

Yeah I love tech, rock gardens, nasty roots etc...im from Seattle so my first love is that, we have some nasty stuff here no doubt...great riding and a lot of progression here..

I love my session HP...Bike is fast as hell and digs corners, was smoother in chunk than my intense and a more controlled in rocks..but intense was a bit more difficult in on corners ..this I'm hoping splits those 2 things....