Quantcast

SantaCruz June 11-20

hey I'm going to be at UCSC getting my wilderness first responder certification from june 11-20th. I've heard the riding down in SC is pretty good so I'm going to bring a bike, should I bring my bighit or my hardtail? or both? also, anyone want to show me the good riding spots while I'm down there?

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
For trail riding, I'd bring the big hit over a hardtail... unless you were into dirt jumping too. If you're staying up on campus most of the trails are right off the backside of the hill.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
Kinda sucks, school lets out on the 10th of june, so lots of the guys who live/ride on campus will probaly be back at home, but id be down the make the short trip from home back here for some shuttles or just good fun. I second the big hit, i ride my hardtail here (its all i have at the moment) its fun on mailboxes, but for the shuttleable trails, a little cush in the back is nice.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
Im not a great surfer myself, i do it a bit, but you would probaly have a great time if you brought it. Tons of places to go, short or long board works, some spots are just long board, others work for both. Im surfinguru or someone else could probaly give you a better report. i say bring it though

Originally posted by gborden
the surfing in Santa Cruz is supposed to be pretty sweet. should I bring a board? long or short? how big is the surf that time of year?
Hey, if you're gonna be here bring your gear! If you're proficient enough, bring the shortboard. You won't get hassled as much.

As far as the size of the surf goes? Who knows. It could be a lake, or it could be overhead. Last year the first 2-3 weeks of June were absolutely mental, then nothing for 6-8 weeks. All depends on what the southern hamisphere decides to dish up.

Anyway, if you have net access when you're up here, throw a post out and we'll see if we can't hook up ride......:monkey:

Originally posted by surfinguru

Anyway, if you have net access when you're up here, throw a post out and we'll see if we can't hook up ride......:monkey:
that would be sweet! :D riding or surfing? I'm down for both.
anyway sorry to bring in all these surfing questions, but whats the water temperature up there? right now in Santa Barbara I'm fine with no wetsuit, but is it a lot colder up there?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I would say to bring both your bikes and both of your boards and a 4/3. If only one of each, bring the BH and the SB, but no matter what bring the 4/3! it is cold, a 3/2 will work but the water temp in SB lately is not normal and it's at least 10º colder up here if not 15º as we speak. If it's flat then you would want the longboard, but why hassle with transporting it for small surf? Most of the trails here are smooth and clean so a big bike is "over-rated" I usually take my 4" bike on most every trail. It might be a hair slower coming down but it's a lot faster going up. Hit me up, I'll take you for a ride or show you some places to surf.