Quantcast

Satellite TV - DirecTV vs. Dish?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions between these two companies. Another rate hike by my cable company has got me looking at the options. What do ya think?

toby

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
My DirectTV price just went down $3 a month. I have had no problem with DTV and I feel that the DTV Tivo is by far easier to use than my neighbors Dish PVR. The menus and guides are much better looking and more user friendly. Directv has more sports subscriptions and channels availible last time I checked but the music channels (no video) were better on Dish. Dish is launching 3 sats this year to expand HD service to local channels when that happens watch out.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Oh, another reason to go with DTV. I wanted a HD Tivo and retail is $1000. I called cryed a little and they took off $450 off of my bill. $150 right away and $25 off per month for the months after that. Not to mention free HBO, Showtime, and HD service for 6 months.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Hawkeye said:
Oh, another reason to go with DTV. I wanted a HD Tivo and retail is $1000. I called cryed a little and they took off $450 off of my bill. $150 right away and $25 off per month for the months after that. Not to mention free HBO, Showtime, and HD service for 6 months.

I just wish that they would switch over to 100% HD programming... and force people to buy a new set to recieve it.

Once you go HD you will never go back...

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I recently heard that Direct TV is launching some satelites to broadcast 1500 HD channels. Could be BS, but I heard some friends talking about it. I'm not impressed with dish networks line packages.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
JSB said:
I recently heard that Direct TV is launching some satelites to broadcast 1500 HD channels. Could be BS, but I heard some friends talking about it. I'm not impressed with dish networks line packages.

Yeah.. or so their advertising says anyhow... so far there are only less than 10 or there abouts... and one is ESPN which is a waste of a channel..

Hawkeye said:
I have to clarify this for would be *new* subscribers....these kinds of discounts are only given to existing customers. I've called at least 10 different times trying to get a deal as a new subscriber for an HD set up and not one CSR would budge on the pricing.

If you're only looking for regular programming, just go to DriecTv's website and sign up for the free multi room special they have.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/get_directv/currentoffer.dsp

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
I have Dish Network. I picked it over Direct TV because I can get the Top 60 channels + my local channels for $26/mo. With Direct TV, you MUST get the $40something 220 channel package, which only includes about 5 or 6 more channels that I want but don't have. You can get the big package for about the same price on Dish Network, but they don't force you to get it.

Oh yeah- my hard drive recorder has seemed pretty user friendly to me. I'm sure it isn't as good as a TiVo, but it has done everything I've needed of it without having to look at a manual. Also, there is NO additional monthly charge for this as there is with TiVo. I think TiVo is like an extra $10-$15 per month- absurd! Occasionaly, the hard drive recorder is offered as a free upgrade on Dish Network. Also, at Costco a couple of months ago I saw a Dish Network High Definition hard drive recorder for $450. Seems like a pretty good deal, although programing is still too limited for me to upgrade.

Overall, the picture quality KICKS BUTT over what my local cabel company offers.

CinderChk

Chimp
Apr 17, 2003
You don't wanna know
We were very happy with Dish Network until recently. We have the DVR, which is the equivalent of TiVo basically, but our bill kept creeping up and we just got another letter in the mail last week saying there was another price increase in our area. We're up to 64.99 a month for basic 60 channels and a dvr.
Needless to say, we're looking elsewhere

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
The DTV Tivo is $5 a month extra. And it is a 2 tuner model. you can record one show and watch another, or you can record 2 shows at once.

My friends Dish PVR doesn't do this. They may have updated equip. since he got his but that's what I do know.

And that my bill has not gone up in 3 years of service. But it did go down $3 last month.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
CinderChk said:
We were very happy with Dish Network until recently. We have the DVR, which is the equivalent of TiVo basically, but our bill kept creeping up and we just got another letter in the mail last week saying there was another price increase in our area. We're up to 64.99 a month for basic 60 channels and a dvr.
Needless to say, we're looking elsewhere
thats odd, i have the dish network with the basic 60 plan+locals+one dvr set and one regular set and i only pay ~$43 or so a month. never had a problem with it and they seem to be well agains raising priceis. the basic plan we have gives me most channels i want except speedvision and OLN, but i wasnt going to pony up the extra ~$10/mo for two channels that i wouldnt usually watch.
i love the dvr, i would never go back to a regular tv setup. pause and rewind is the best invention. evar.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
When we moved into our house 2 years ago it was setup with Dtv. Overall i dont think its any cheaper then Cable was... both in the 50 bucks range. The catch with DTV is having to pay for your local channels, and if you want in more than one room you need another reciever.... Also, a weird thing for us is having most the channels on east coast time when were west coast. It makes late night TV suck, because at 11:00 my time, infomercials start back east and most the channels run late night crap like that, but the plus is getting the good late night stuff early. Like southpark and adult swim starting 3 hours earlier...

Its very rare that we have problems with the system. Once in a while there are times when the signal gets funky...like in real bad weather.....but 99.9% of the time were recieving good.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've got DirectTV - it's ok, though I'm still kinda pissed that they said I'd be eligible to get the major networks then changed their minds after I bought all the gear. Reception is good, even during storms (which was my big concern). Prices only go up every 6 months or so compared to every month with my cable company.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I would strongly recommend getting rid of the cable and getting *neither* of the others..........

You'll find you have much more time to ride, read, and do other things useful. T.V. will do nothing but waste your time. Generally speaking......... :D

-S.S.-

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
What I hate is this box fee. $5 bucks per room. That just drives me nuts. At least with cable you still get basic in the other rooms with out the box if you prefer. They suck you into this 4 rooms for free BS. Yet it's $20 extra bucks a month. Even if you do get your locals you don't get thim in HD. You still have to use your antenna. So this is why I've been stuck on choosing some one. I've got cable right now. Just the $10 basic stuff for when I want to watch espn or some like that. I mainly watch locals through my HD antenna. I typically watch TV between 6 and 7, and 9 and 10. Other than that I'm doing something else. That's why I find it hard to decide. I've been leaning toward DTV, because the basic cable clarity sucks compared to the antenna, and I find myself bitching about it when I'm watching it. But is 50-60 buck a month worth that...So far the answer has been no.