Quantcast

***Saturderp GMT***

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Targhee was off the hook today. Snowing when we arrived and just kept dumping harder as the day went on.

Cooked now.

HAB - sucks about the leg. Heal fast, you whippersnapper.
Thanks, currently medicating with beer. And maybe some edibles in a bit. :D

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That is but a wee break. Could be non-operative since it does appear to be below the syndesmosis to me...
That angle doesn't show it great, but the broken off chucks are rotated back a bit, so there's more gap than that view indicates. Think that matters?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That angle doesn't show it great, but the broken off chucks are rotated back a bit, so there's more gap than that view indicates. Think that matters?
Yes.

There are implant grade zipties. But I think they're only indicated for the sternum.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Post up the lateral view that presumably shows this, kplsthx

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Only minimally displaced. I still wouldn’t be surprised with non-operative management.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Only minimally displaced. I still wouldn’t be surprised with non-operative management.
Really hoping I can go to an air cast when I see the ortho, does that seem likely? The half cast I have on already feels revolting in the foot after 24hrs. I can't even fathom what it would be like after a few weeks without being able to clean it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They're leaving it up to me. Ortho says that it's minimally displaced and as such should heal fine on its own. Surgery's still on the table though as an option, and as it was presented to me, the pros are that it would heal faster, and that it would reduce the likelihood of developing arthritis down the road, as it would get repaired with better alignment. Obviously any surgery carries some risk, but this one sounds relatively routine and straightforward. I'm somewhat inclined to operate, but am also a little worried that I'm overindexing on my experience with my collarbone, where I was given the same choice, and chose not to operate. It healed with somewhat poor alignment, and has given me a lot of grief since.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They're leaving it up to me. Ortho says that it's minimally displaced and as such should heal fine on its own. Surgery's still on the table though as an option, and as it was presented to me, the pros are that it would heal faster, and that it would reduce the likelihood of developing arthritis down the road, as it would get repaired with better alignment. Obviously any surgery carries some risk, but this one sounds relatively routine and straightforward. I'm somewhat inclined to operate, but am also a little worried that I'm overindexing on my experience with my collarbone, where I was given the same choice, and chose not to operate. It healed with somewhat poor alignment, and has given me a lot of grief since.
ask for the robocop treatment.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If my fibula looked like that I’d go non-op.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What's your thinking? Just that it's aligned well enough that there's not possibility for improvement with surgery to be worth the risk?
What did you do skiing to do that to your ankle? Wearing old leather boots?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What did you do skiing to do that to your ankle? Wearing old leather boots?
Not even a good story. Was coming out of the woods onto a cat track. Ski tip caught on some icy crud that the cat had pushed up at the edge. Binding (Radical 2.0) didn't release. Just twisted my ankle around and broke it.
Technica Cochise Pro 130s.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What's your thinking? Just that it's aligned well enough that there's not possibility for improvement with surgery to be worth the risk?
Anesthesia has risks. Opening the skin for anything has risks. The risks involved in non-op management are smaller than those other risks, IMO.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Also tore the likely ligament connecting the tibia and fibula. Saw a second doctor today, his opinion was that the fibula would be fine on its own, but I'm much better off getting surgery for that.