Quantcast

Sea Otter check in

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I will be there.

Practicing DH Friday and Saturday. Racing on Sunday. CAT-1 25-29.

I will be out there on a Tomac and in TLD gear.

Probably looking something like this:

Or this:

Or this:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Arrive Friday afternoon-ish, pick up packet, check out expo, racing, er, riding in clydesdale cat 2 on Saturday, checking out expo again before taking off about 2 or 3. Will be on either my green Cannondale with child's seat on back, or silver/blue Fisher Cake 4, wearing my Alaina gear. Some where on the jersey it'll say "Alaina.....", and it'll be either my yellow/white or blue/white selection.

XJman07

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
Folsom, CA
Ill be there Thursday-Saturday/Sunday.

Ill be racing Cat 3 18-24, this will be my first race, and Im pumped!!

Ill be on a 2009 SX Trail

SVC

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Wild Bill has completed the DH course - faster is the theme. Upper jump section tweaked a bit and all jumps totally groomed - some backsides extended and lips improved means bigger air and faster. Getting backside on big single to table in reach of mere mortals. Berm before big table reworked with fresh dirt. After the big table - now a straight shot towards first single track slight up but with two jumps now at pretty high speed - can literally coast up that single track to the chicane before the log drop! Would not suggest if you want to podium but saves the legs in practice and/or not the burner it has been in race runs. Liked the double into small berm and hop over the whole 3 rocks on the course of year's past - but I must say the straight shot with the jumps at high speed are very fun. The first (new) is not lippy - clearing 30ft to natural roller back side but the second is lippy and overjumping a challenge - but the speed you now carry up is so welcome!
New dirt added on the log drop landing. Freeway section kept rough / very choppy - a blast at high speed. Rutted and now loose steep section a bit more challenging but ends in reworked lower berm and section to hip at paved road. Hip lip increased but bigger backside also (basically the same)...jump from pavement modfied -taller but less lip - we were gapping literally 45-50ft with butter landing (so fun). Carry so much speed that popping the booter at the top of the down is almost unavoidable when pinning. Rest of course same except no crossing creek - finish line on archery side now. Fast times will be sub 2 minutes. Rinse and repeat!

SVC

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Bummer about the shoulder - but beer can definitely be medicinal...

And all the 1.5 inches of rain has done so far is water the course and help to pack down some of the new dirt. Clearing by tomorrow - rideable by Wednesday / Thursday morning at the latest. Forecasts are showing dry / partial clouds all through Sunday - expecting the course to be in better condition than last year and dare say even tacky / hero dirt in spots!. Plywood with chicken wire options already made to cover a couple low / soft spots if absolutely neccessary (to keep speed for jump section) - but not likely...

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
It was fun this year, I did good in my race as did most of my friends, checked out all the new goodies in the expo drank some beer and just chilled in general. I personally liked last years DH course better since Im more of a tech rider than jumper.

SVC

Chimp
May 1, 2003
the amount of whoops, ruts, and occasional soft spots that developed due to the late heavy rain were a surprise and slowed down the course to times similar as last year...but thought it added a bit of a new dimension in line selection and suspension need on the lower part of the course...burly small bike or light big bike - the former ruled this year (last year light big bikes were 8 out of top 10) - but that hill and course layout will always be a pedal-fest.

Frosty strongly encouraging a new DH course for next year - starting at the highest point (next to the road) - better access for building / tractors and likely more time to work on (only 1 week allowed now due to proximity to shooting range)...we'll see...