Quantcast

Sea Otter Downhill Report

dspyzd

Chimp
Mar 15, 2007
Stik
Good to see you givin reports on freecaster. Even went to stiksandstones.com to see if it was up. Miss going there daily for updates.

Was Palmer at the Otter this year?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Stik
Good to see you givin reports on freecaster. Even went to stiksandstones.com to see if it was up. Miss going there daily for updates.

Was Palmer at the Otter this year?
Thanks for the nice words...old site could make a comeback, but only if I do the whole circuit thing again. No Palmer at Otter.

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
Blazing hot sunshine and slippery, dusty trails were the order of the day for this year's Sea Otter downhill. The track has turned into a blown up, slick mess from the moondust. Inside of helmets, it feels like a blast furnace as riders lined up for early morning practice runs. to make matters worse, an injury at the finish that required medics shut down the course for 30 minutes and forced everyone in line to bake just a little bit more.
Sincere apology's to all the riders, fans, and officials whom had to suffer on account of a stupid mistake I made Sunday morning which caused the delay.

As I was coming through the corner leading into the finish line jumps (WHO THE F'S IDEA WAS THAT!!!) my rear end slid as I attempted to come inside (far right) of the jumps to try and miss them. To coming off the first double I was already loosing control. I regained control, no problem (or so I thought) as I proceeded to compress in order to clear the next double. Upon being compressed fully my front tire became airborne and I was unable to clear the gap and I was already front heavy in combination of being compressed and trying to clear the gap and when I clipped the landing with my front wheel it sent me over the bars and before I could react in any sort of way I was on my head and hitting full scorpion position. (anyone who saw footage of Matti L.s back breaking crash in "The Tipping Point" visualize his position as me crashing except on sea otter dirt and only going like 6-10 mph)

when I landed I felt the most excruciating pain in my lower back as I've ever felt in my life and not only was the pain consistent, it got worse and worse and worse.. all the way up until they gave me morphine at the hospital. I thought for sure something was broken or something like that so I let them carry me out on a backboard and the whole nine yards.. I kept asking them to move me and my first thought on landing was to get out of the way but they kept saying I shouldn't move and the increasing pain in my back lead me to believe moving would be a bad idea lol.

anyways after 4 x rays they determined the only real damage was muscle related. THANK GOD!! and so I'll be just fine somewhere between a week and a month but OMG I've haven't been that scared in my life before.. as I was staring up at the ceiling in the Salinas county hospital (S*it hospital BTW the ceiling looked like it was gonna fall down on my face) I couldn't help but think of how life changing this even could be if my back had been seriously injured and some how I wasn't able to ride again...

which brings me to my point. I'm sorry I F*ked up.
:imstupid: especially at sea otter, doing something I've done a million times before. I'm sorry I held things up

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sincere apology's to all the riders, fans, and officials whom had to suffer on account of a stupid mistake I made Sunday morning which caused the delay.

As I was coming through the corner leading into the finish line jumps (WHO THE F'S IDEA WAS THAT!!!) my rear end slid as I attempted to come inside (far right) of the jumps to try and miss them. To coming off the first double I was already loosing control. I regained control, no problem (or so I thought) as I proceeded to compress in order to clear the next double. Upon being compressed fully my front tire became airborne and I was unable to clear the gap and I was already front heavy in combination of being compressed and trying to clear the gap and when I clipped the landing with my front wheel it sent me over the bars and before I could react in any sort of way I was on my head and hitting full scorpion position. (anyone who saw footage of Matti L.s back breaking crash in "The Tipping Point" visualize his position as me crashing except on sea otter dirt and only going like 6-10 mph)

when I landed I felt the most excruciating pain in my lower back as I've ever felt in my life and not only was the pain consistent, it got worse and worse and worse.. all the way up until they gave me morphine at the hospital. I thought for sure something was broken or something like that so I let them carry me out on a backboard and the whole nine yards.. I kept asking them to move me and my first thought on landing was to get out of the way but they kept saying I shouldn't move and the increasing pain in my back lead me to believe moving would be a bad idea lol.

anyways after 4 x rays they determined the only real damage was muscle related. THANK GOD!! and so I'll be just fine somewhere between a week and a month but OMG I've haven't been that scared in my life before.. as I was staring up at the ceiling in the Salinas county hospital (S*it hospital BTW the ceiling looked like it was gonna fall down on my face) I couldn't help but think of how life changing this even could be if my back had been seriously injured and some how I wasn't able to ride again...

:imstupid: especially at sea otter, doing something I've done a million times before. I'm sorry I held things up
Glad to hear you are alright. Sven, Flipper and myself were midcourse and all figured it must be a back or neck injury considering the delay and the medics they pulled in from all over the course.

Those jumps (and the fencing around it) was a tad weird, to say the least.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

i dont think you should apologize.
we all mess up and crash every now and then and no one wants to see a fellow rider get hurt.
im sure if the course hold up was for something non-injury related, some might have gotten ticked, but when it comes to injuries, we'd gladly wait so someone get can proper medical attention.

thankfully youre okay mon.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
i dont think you should apologize.
we all mess up and crash every now and then and no one wants to see a fellow rider get hurt.
im sure if the course hold up was for something non-injury related, some might have gotten ticked, but when it comes to injuries, we'd gladly wait so someone get can proper medical attention.

thankfully youre okay mon.
Exactly. I've been to plenty of races that have been quite a ways of schedule. Usually it's due to some problem with the organizing (timing system broke, radios don't work, people not in the right places, etc) but if it's because someone crashed...I just feel bad for the guy who crashed. You'd have to be a pretty callous bastard to be pissed because someone went down and the course had to close.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Speaking of tipping point, UK sellers are saying it wont be released until 1st June :( :( :(

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!

hey man glad your ok, i was there... but you prob dont remember me haha. i asked you if you need me to bring your bike to your pits but i guess your girlfriend came and got it??

heal up man!