Quantcast

Sea Otter

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Just wanted to see if any of you ladies were going to be racing at Sea Otter?

Preregister ends this Wednesday and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Haven't been on my bike since the week before Thanksgiving and not sure if I'm in ready to race.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I'm going to do the XC on Sunday. It be nice if stopped raining long enough to actually ride. My last good ride was end of February.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I'll (most likely) be racing downhill.
As soon as the snow hits the ground here, I forget about biking. Too busy boarding every weekend. Lame excuse though.

Are you camping there or what?

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Staying at a hotel. I'm looking forward to going; it's my first time. It's been raining nonstop for the entire month of March here, makes riding the trails a little too muddy. Of course, Sea Otter will be just as muddy and wet.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i've never raced sea otter. but gone with friends. i'm excited/nervous about racing because it will be my first time racing a bunch of other girls.
only dh races i've ever done have had only me and like one other girl. there's currently 7 people already registered in my category.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I'll cheer you on! But not with a cowbell-those are kind of annoying! I want to get into downhill, but I've got a few xc races to do first. This summer though I'm going to focus on it.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I have a Juliana SL santa cruz. Not exactly a downhill bike-although it does go downhill if you point it in the right direction! ;) I'm not anywhere near ready to race downhill, but I'm anxious to check out the course and see what it's all about.
How long have you been racing downhill? Do you do any other kinds of racing? XC? Road racing?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I tried xc racing a couple of years ago and just started racing DH at the beginning of last year. XC racing just wasn't my thing.
I like the camaraderie of downhill racing a little bit better. Everyone is so nice an supportive. and everyone's attitude is a little less serious.
At the end of last year I started riding at the BMX track and I did one (sorta) race there. Tons of fun! Do you have a track near you?

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Good luck!!!

As far as being nervous with a bigger race and class...no worries. As bigger races go, Sea Otter is fairly laid back. It's the beginning of the season and folks are just happy to be out and racing again. I've had a really good time the past 2 years we've gone and am bummed we're not going this year.

It's easier said than done sometimes, but just relax and have fun :)

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
i'll be out there.. i'm racing expert womens mountain cross, dual slolem, and expert 18 and under junior women's downhill....

see all you ladies out there!

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I heard the XC course was tough. A couple of sandy descents, and lots of mud ruts from the rain. Should be interesting; in a painful, "oh gosh, is it over yet"? kind of way. :) I hate riding in sand.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
They changed the XC course this year so I can't give you many pointers. I've done it in the past and there was only one sandy section. I would definitely recommend preriding - I think I've raced once in my life without preriding. It's just nice to know what's coming up and how much I can give without blowing up.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I'm going next Friday to ride it with a friend. Next couple of weeks should be crazy fun. I'm racing this weekend, then next week riding the XC course, then after that Sea Otter! Happy, happy. I *love* being on my bike.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
amydalayna said:
i've never raced sea otter. but gone with friends. i'm excited/nervous about racing because it will be my first time racing a bunch of other girls.
only dh races i've ever done have had only me and like one other girl. there's currently 7 people already registered in my category.
I've never raced ever...CHDH this weekend will be my first and Otter will be my second...I'm in the same boat as you...except, I've never even ridden with a girl before, let alone raced one...so needless to say I'm excited/nervous/and afraid of being overwhelmed...but my main goal is to make sure it a lot of fun...I signed up for expert...most likely will get my butt kicked, but I'd rather come in last in expert than by some unlikely chance, sandbag the sport division...hope to see you there...I'll be the one with the arm sleeve...

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
amydalayna said:
Just wanted to see if any of you ladies were going to be racing at Sea Otter?
I'll be there and will more than likely be racing DH. What class are you racing. I'd be happy to do some practice runs with you if you'd like.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
hey everyone. racing sport 19-29. red bullit. medium length blong hair. hanging out with a guy with a broken wrist.

i seriously have not ridden my bike since last november. lame excuse, but i live in the snow and board all winter. i'm hoping to get out this weekend and pedal around.

shyrmp - would love to take you up on the offer to get some practice runs in. whatcha ride? i can PM you more info if you'd like.

goodtobeIrie - chdc should be fun! wish i was able to get out there for it. good luck this weekend!

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
amydalayna said:
shyrmp - would love to take you up on the offer to get some practice runs in. whatcha ride? i can PM you more info if you'd like.
I ride a BeOne, so I should be pretty easy to spot. I look like my avatar.

I'll PM you my cell phone number. I won't be there until Friday, we are heading out late Thursday night from San Diego. I should probably go register to race now ;)

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Shyrmp said:
I ride a BeOne, so I should be pretty easy to spot. I look like my avatar.

I'll PM you my cell phone number. I won't be there until Friday, we are heading out late Thursday night from San Diego. I should probably go register to race now ;)
And she'll be the one smiling from ear to ear! I don't think I've ever really seen you not smile Shyrmp :D

Sorry we're going to miss you guys this year :(

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
Velocity Girl said:
And she'll be the one smiling from ear to ear! I don't think I've ever really seen you not smile Shyrmp :D

Sorry we're going to miss you guys this year :(
I had to go back to pictures from 2003 ;) :p

I'll miss you guys too, I really need to plan a visit up to Washington one of these days. :)

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
what class are you girls racing for chdh??

i'm racing expert womens at chdh, and i feel that i am in way over my head (it's my first expert race)... i dont know why but i just was really not feeling it today at practice

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Hey Chrissie, nice job at Sandhill! How did you do at CHDH?

I raced XC this weekend down at Ford Ord. I'm feeling kind of bummed because I didn't do as well as I felt as should have done. The course was soo easy and flowy-nothing technical at all, but it started on a longish paved uphill. I got left behind at the start and that was it. I never caught up.

Got schooled by a beginner mountain biker who had only been riding two months. It was her first race, and she was on a bike that didn't fit her. Ouch. There goes my ego. :)

Anyway, Sea Otter is in a couple of weeks-the rate I'm feeling , it's going to be another lesson in how to be a graceful loser.
Anybody else ever been there?

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
thePINKster said:
i've been at the otter the past two years, but only raced at it last year... this year is gonna be soooooo fun!
hey, PINKster...how did you do at CHDH...did many women show up?? we decided not to go late fri. night...the weather seemed like it was going to be a repeat of last year, but ended up pretty nice from what I hear...course looked a little slick still though from the pics I've seen so far...

instead we decided to get in two full days of riding, since I imagine I need the practice just as bad as the experience of a first race...

btw...I should have clarified earlier...I'll be in the old hags division at Sea Otter...there's only one other female signed up in my division so far...

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
goodtobeIrie said:
hey, PINKster...how did you do at CHDH...did many women show up??
i actually did better than i expected! i won my class :weee:

there were a good amount of lady riders, although some decided to skip out on the race. i believe there were at least 3 girls per class

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
thePINKster said:
i actually did better than i expected! i won my class :weee:

there were a good amount of lady riders, although some decided to skip out on the race. i believe there were at least 3 girls per class
Congratulations!! sounds like it was a good time...wish I woulda went, but then I would have had to beat you...just teasing...your young legs probably would have kicked my butt...:)

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
hey dh ladies....
what bikes are you bringing to sea otter and what tires are you racing? i'm just curious. i have never race there.... (i've only raced northstar).

for any of you who have raced the dh n* course (either Karpiel to speed control OR karpiel to mid karpiel).... how does this course compare?

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
amydalayna said:
hey dh ladies....
what bikes are you bringing to sea otter and what tires are you racing? i'm just curious. i have never race there.... (i've only raced northstar).

for any of you who have raced the dh n* course (either Karpiel to speed control OR karpiel to mid karpiel).... how does this course compare?
I'm either racing the hubby's Demo8 or my Foes...not sure on tires yet...depends on the conditions I suppose....I've never been to Sea Otter...but I don't think you need much more than a xc bike to be honest..

all I know about the course is that people say, "get ready to pedal your ass off"...I have a feeling it's not really a "true" DH course...and it's definitely not comparable to N*...no rocks from what I can tell...I know there's at least one step down jump and maybe a ladder drop between trees or something...but this is all hearsay...so don't take my word...

if you click on the web site and look under DH you can look at the motion based maps, which give you a decent idea of the course...the fly by one, or something like that, is the best...but the other one tells you where the jumps and whatnot are...hope this helps a little at least...

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
goodtobeIrie said:
Congratulations!! sounds like it was a good time...wish I woulda went, but then I would have had to beat you...just teasing...your young legs probably would have kicked my butt...:)
how'd ya know i was so young?

and i wouldnt be too sure. i've been humbled quite a bit, and have learned to never underestimate the competition...

let's just say, i'm SUPER nervous for sea otter's DH comp.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
amydalayna said:
hey dh ladies....

I'm racing my baby (intense tazer) for all three gravity events. you only need a dual susp. slalom bike for everything. in fact, a true DH bike might be a little overkill.

i've raced northstar on the tazer too, and trust me, if you're used to that gnarly course, then sea otter's should be a piece of cake for you:thumb: You're gonna do awesome

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I'm only doing XC, and with the weather being what it is, I might bring a boat instead of a bike. I don't mind getting muddy when I ride, and I'm trying not to be a sissy girl about the weather, but even I have limits, and I've just about reached them. It's no fun to have to stop and muck off your tires every few feet. Stupid rain. How do people in Seattle EVER go mtbiking?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
thePINKster said:
i've raced northstar on the tazer too, and trust me, if you're used to that gnarly course, then sea otter's should be a piece of cake for you:thumb: You're gonna do awesome
i hope that's the case. but then again... what if gnarly rocky courses are my strong suit???? nervous.
and i'm hoping that the sadness of northstar not opening this season doesn't slow me down.

i'm trying to figure out what tires i should be bringing this weekend. looks like it's going to be sloppy out. most of my tires are better for loose sand... not muckiness.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
zoey said:
I'm only doing XC, and with the weather being what it is, I might bring a boat instead of a bike. I don't mind getting muddy when I ride, and I'm trying not to be a sissy girl about the weather, but even I have limits, and I've just about reached them. It's no fun to have to stop and muck off your tires every few feet. Stupid rain. How do people in Seattle EVER go mtbiking?
do you have disc brakes on your xc bike? i'm thinking that would help on a super muddy xc course. you don't want all the mud getting loaded up in your brakes....