Quantcast

Seeking Colorado Riding Suggestions

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
I am cruising through Colorado from August 9 through 17. The plan is to ride Telluride, Durango, and Silverton, then head up and ride Vail and Keystone, ending up at my brother's house in Boulder before heading east.

How does that plan sound? Anything you think I should hit in addition to or in place of these ski hills?

Moab will be too damn hot and I have done it before.

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
I will have my XC and DH rigs, but while I am in the rockies I want to get in the most vertical possible. I can pedal up but only if the trail really rips going down!

More jumps, drops, steeps, and skinnies is better.

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Your plan sounds good.....just make sure you hit silverton waaaaaay early in the morning. Because of its location and stuff, these crazy arse thunder storms roll in around 10 and more often then not they have to close the lift until it subsides(if it does at all).

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
If you're going to do some xc riding, you might also look into crested butte. It has some of the best xc trails in the state.

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Wow, if Crested Butte is that good I might have to pencil it in. That would make the drive from Durango to Vail much more interesting.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Yea, it's that good. It's been years since I've been there, and I don't have my trail guide with me, but from memory;

snodgrass- excellent short/close to the ski resort trail ride through meadows and aspens.
401- my god, the view is killer. The way I did it was to climb up the road, and descend the hill side via switchbacks through hip-high wildflowers on narrow singletrack. A must ride.
There is a singletrack trail near the base of the mountain, I'll consult my guide and get the name of it. It's "relatively flat", but winds through a huge aspen grove with LOT'S of roots, so it makes for a fun technical ride.

I'll look through my guide and make some more up to date recommendations for you soon.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Ronny Grady said:
Wow, if Crested Butte is that good I might have to pencil it in. That would make the drive from Durango to Vail much more interesting.
Check out Ridemonkey's pictures of it in the photo gallery section. Those pictures alone make me want to drive down to CO and ride that.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
The following two photo's are courtesy of ridemonkey from the photo gallery.
The 401 trail: