Quantcast

Seeking info on Bass Lake / Downieville

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
I just moved to San Jose, I haven't gotten any good DH in yet. Last weekend I went to Sand Hills Ranch (jumps and bikerX) and Briones Park (very mellow); both were fun but I need some DH with long runs, and preferably a shuttle! I know I need to check out Pacifica and the UCSC trails for sure, but for this three day weekend I want to get out of town!

I am worried Northstar and the rest of Tahoe will be a Zoo, I think I will wait for a non-holliday weekend to check it out. So I am trying to choose between driving to Downieville or Bass Lake. Do you guys have any suggestions / advice about these two places?

Thanks

also: I am planning to check out the Calabazas park dirt jumps on Thursday after work. Are there any other places I should check out in the area?

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
N* won't be open until the 6/18, so you're not missing out on anything (yet). As for Downieville, its fun, don't go up there expecting to ride the craziest most tech run around, just a looong fun run, in 15 miles there's only like 1 mile of up hill. Try www.yubaexpeditions.com. Their the good shuttle company in town.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Not really, since you have the shuttle. I'm on a Bullit w/ jt. T, and yea, I think something like a Heckler / fox fork would probably be ideal, but with a shuttle, who cares. Seems like the most common bike you see up there is xc hard tails, at least on Butcher Ranch, that's the most popular trail up there, the locals might know of some more "DH" type of trails up there. There are some tech sections, but you're not going to be blowing through every inch of your travel or anything.

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
so what do you guys say, Bass Lake or Downieville? Sounds like Bass Lake might be a bit more fun, more jumps, a bit tougher terrain? I will be on my 8" DH rig.

ricebowls

Monkey
May 24, 2002
san francisco
go ride downieville!!! save basslake for next year's 007 race and make sure you bring something with no more that 5" of travel. d-ville is just super fun trail riding that mostly goes downhill. any bike will be a good time but if you have something with mid travel that would be the best. until N* opens you're pretty limited as far as good DH is concerned other that what you mentioned. Carlmont/DMC is a great place to session on a DH bike.

D

dwnwrd

Never been to Bass Lake, but mmm downieville... I'm considering going up there this saturday.

I have a feeling my feet are going to get wet this time of year. :)

SpuTTer916

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
The OV
I looked a couple days ago and they said they shuttles still arent making it quite to the top of the hill, and that there is a 2 mile snow hike to butcher ranch...

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
I just looked now, made a reservation and they said that the vans made it to the top last weekend.

Sounds like fun!

BRacing

Monkey
Feb 3, 2003
NorCal
Ronny

If you're headed up on Monday (just for a day trip) and need a co-pilot, let me know. I've been a few dozen times and look forward to going up soon this year.

email me if you're interested. I can help pay for gas, food, etc.

-Brad

octane@sbcglobal.net

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
007 has more man made jumps. Cali is definitely the best dj area in the south bay. I'd say that's where I learned, but I still suck so I guess that's where I started to learn how to dj.

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
I'm planning on going to downieville tomorrow, I'll post conditions when I get back late.
It's my first time there, I have the 'wife shuttle', so hopefully I can get in a few cheap runs. :D

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
I just hit bass lake last weekend. It's fun, but on an 8 inch bike there is nothing scarey. There are a lot of little jumps, most around knee high. Better on a smaller mid-travel bike. The shuttle is also a pretty slow process. If you go, there is a parking lot accross the street from Camp Road. If you follow the dirt fireroad that goes out of the back of the parking lot a couple hundred feet (this is away from 007 and the rest of the good riding) there is a pretty good double there. We played on it a while at the end of the day.

Downieville has cheap fun shuttles to the top that run all the time. Fast and fun, but probably a bit wet this early in the season. I haven't done it on my big bike, but I think it would be a blast. If you take a smaller bike, Pauly creek trail is nice, and less crowded due to the few extra feet of climbing. Have fun.

Scott

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
It was fun, but Butcher Ranch has alot of snow on it, so you end up walking alot of downhill parts.
:(

It was pretty wet too, if you go, take fenders if you have them.

On the plus side, a couple of the creek crossings had snow-bridges over them still. :)

Oh, and the guys from Yuba Expeditions (and others?) were up doing trail mainitenance, after my first run, all the fallen trees had been removed, and some sections of trail patched up. It's definately some sweet riding except for the snowy bits.

This was the worst stretch, this is looking back up the trail.